Spreading love and saving lives on Valentine’s Day

Sydney Wuu, Staff Writer

Roses are red,

violets are blue,

you can give blood,

and save a life too!

Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. Right now, there is no substitute for transfusions other than volunteer blood donors. The impact of only minutes of your time is immeasurable to car accident and other trauma victims, cancer and transplant patients, and those with sickle cell disease or other blood disorders.

The Service Council organized an on-campus blood drive on Valentine’s Day, February 14th. The only requirements for prospective student participants were that they must have been at least sixteen, received their parents’ permission, and met certain height and weight requirements. Volunteers earned a free T-shirt, blood drive sticker, and food for their time and dedication to the cause.

Malika Neogi (’20) is happy to have done good for the community.

Eleanor Corbin (‘20) helped check donors in and answer their questions. She explained, “I chose to volunteer because although I’m not old enough to donate blood, I still want to make a difference in any way I can. I want to show how age doesn’t matter when it comes to helping others. When I turn sixteen, I’m definitely going to give my blood.”

Mia Wang (’20) and Eleanor Corbin (’20) smile in between checking donors in.

Garrett Revelli (‘20) is one of 6.8 million annual American blood donors. While waiting in line, he said, “Since I meet all the age, height, and weight requirements, I thought, ‘why not?’ Also the announcement said there was going to be free food, so I get to eat while doing something good to help the community.”

Rylie Brick (’19) and Olivia Vasquez (’19) are in the middle of giving their blood.

Riya Metya (‘18), Co-Chair of the Service Council, commented, “I’m really happy with the record-breaking number of sign-ups we have gotten for this year! We succeeded in getting more faculty to participate this year in the blood drive. Also, considering it’s CIF week and a lot of our girls who want to participate don’t hit the weight requirement, it’s been a great turnout.”

So for those who are on the fence about participating next year, remember: blood is meant to circulate. Share yours around!

Sydney Wuu, Copy Editor

Sydney Wuu (‘20) is the Copy Editor for the Webb Canyon Chronicle. This is her second year as a part of the journalism program at Webb, but she has enjoyed writing and articulating her thoughts through this journalistic platform of expression since seventh grade. Along with journalism, Sydney enjoys interacting in the Webb community as an executive officer for student government. She also participates in sports for all three seasons: varsity tennis, varsity water polo, and varsity swim. Sydney, who is now a resident of North Hutch, grew up locally in Pasadena, but has also lived in Spain, Gibraltar, and the Philippines. As a result of being able to experience various different cultures and countries, Sydney has found a love for travelling that she is able to share through her writing.