Filed under News, Showcase

Power crashes at Webb

Back to Article
Back to Article

Power crashes at Webb

Doris Yuan (‘20) stresses out when Webb loses power. Graphic Courtesy of Summer Chen ('20)

On Monday morning of September 17th, The Webb Schools experienced a campus-wide power outage for one hour and twenty-eight minutes. At 8:52 a.m., during D block, the power crashed. The lights went pitch-black as hundreds of students and faculty members simultaneously disconnected from Webb Connect.

During the power outage, Malik Mbengue, language department faculty member, was having his French 3/4 students take a quiz in the Old School House. When prompted to elaborate on his initial reaction, he said, “I hoped the power outage didn’t last long because some of my plans involved using the internet.”

During the outage, Doris Yuan (‘19) was taking a math test in Mr. Walker’s AP Calc AB class. “At the moment when it went dark, I thought we were going to end the test, because it was really dark.” However, Doris’ hopes were crushed when Mr. Walker continued the test.

Shortly after the power outage, the tech department revived the internet by turning on the generator in the schools. At 10:20, the power came back. The moment the lights and fans turned on in the library, students began cheering and clapping to express their excitement.

Some people had a very personal investment in keeping the power on. Tom Jurczak, science department faculty member, said, “I had a free block, so I was off campus getting groceries—fresh fish for dinner. Then the power’s out. Great. I threw the fish into the fridge and closed it immediately. We still ate the fish and it was really good.”

Tim Coates, Director of Information Technology, informed journalists that the power outage occurred because the utility company accidentally shut the power down.  

Stephen Li, Staff Writer

Stephen Li (‘21) is from Beijing, China. He enjoys taking pictures, making short films, and playing sports such as football, basketball, and track and...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Power crashes at Webb”

1. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:17 pm

My Internet did not start working. In fact it didn’t work until the power was restored. Maybe chandler is too far. Also I’m with sprint so my hotspot didn’t work because they are terrible service providers.

2. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:21 pm

I’d also like to inquire what kind of fish Mr Jurczak had and how he prepared it.

• Power crashes at Webb

Students commemorate Parkland victims

• Power crashes at Webb

Webb designs 2019’s Dies Mulieres and Men in the Arena

• Power crashes at Webb

Webb students spread love (and donate blood) before Valentine’s Day

• Power crashes at Webb

Students make big bank at Casino Night

• Power crashes at Webb

Thrilling flamenco performance enthralls students

• Power crashes at Webb

Chinese tutors bring Chinese culture to Webb for 春节 (chūn jié)

• Power crashes at Webb

YouTube bans challenge videos

• Power crashes at Webb

A timeline of the U.S. government shutdown: The unceasing shutdown persists

• Power crashes at Webb

Students prepare for annual Casino Night

• Power crashes at Webb

Webb robotics kicks into high gear

Power crashes at Webb