Filed under News, Showcase

Power crashes at Webb

Back to Article
Back to Article

Power crashes at Webb

Doris Yuan (‘20) stresses out when Webb loses power. Graphic Courtesy of Summer Chen ('20)

On Monday morning of September 17th, The Webb Schools experienced a campus-wide power outage for one hour and twenty-eight minutes. At 8:52 a.m., during D block, the power crashed. The lights went pitch-black as hundreds of students and faculty members simultaneously disconnected from Webb Connect.

During the power outage, Malik Mbengue, language department faculty member, was having his French 3/4 students take a quiz in the Old School House. When prompted to elaborate on his initial reaction, he said, “I hoped the power outage didn’t last long because some of my plans involved using the internet.”

During the outage, Doris Yuan (‘19) was taking a math test in Mr. Walker’s AP Calc AB class. “At the moment when it went dark, I thought we were going to end the test, because it was really dark.” However, Doris’ hopes were crushed when Mr. Walker continued the test.

Shortly after the power outage, the tech department revived the internet by turning on the generator in the schools. At 10:20, the power came back. The moment the lights and fans turned on in the library, students began cheering and clapping to express their excitement.

Some people had a very personal investment in keeping the power on. Tom Jurczak, science department faculty member, said, “I had a free block, so I was off campus getting groceries—fresh fish for dinner. Then the power’s out. Great. I threw the fish into the fridge and closed it immediately. We still ate the fish and it was really good.”

Tim Coates, Director of Information Technology, informed journalists that the power outage occurred because the utility company accidentally shut the power down.  

Stephen Li, Staff Writer

Stephen Li (‘21) is from Beijing, China. He enjoys taking pictures, making short films, and playing sports such as football, basketball, and track and...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Power crashes at Webb”

1. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:17 pm

My Internet did not start working. In fact it didn’t work until the power was restored. Maybe chandler is too far. Also I’m with sprint so my hotspot didn’t work because they are terrible service providers.

2. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:21 pm

I’d also like to inquire what kind of fish Mr Jurczak had and how he prepared it.

• Power crashes at Webb

Webbies celebrate Ramadan with the breaking of the fast

• Power crashes at Webb

College Case Studies transforms Webb juniors into college admissions officers

• Power crashes at Webb

Wildflowers head to California for a super bloom

• Power crashes at Webb

President Trump’s border wall is still a work in progress

• Power crashes at Webb

New students visit the Webb campus

• Power crashes at Webb

Duque becomes new WSC Dean of Students starting 2019-2020

• Power crashes at Webb

Committee on Student Norms meets to discuss handbook changes

• Power crashes at Webb

Webb community shares compassion through shoes

• Power crashes at Webb

Aunt Becky revisits morals after allegedly bribing college admissions

• Power crashes at Webb

Sophomores plan Sadie’s Dance

Power crashes at Webb