Filed under News, Showcase

Power crashes at Webb

Back to Article
Back to Article

Power crashes at Webb

Doris Yuan (‘20) stresses out when Webb loses power. Graphic Courtesy of Summer Chen ('20)

On Monday morning of September 17th, The Webb Schools experienced a campus-wide power outage for one hour and twenty-eight minutes. At 8:52 a.m., during D block, the power crashed. The lights went pitch-black as hundreds of students and faculty members simultaneously disconnected from Webb Connect.

During the power outage, Malik Mbengue, language department faculty member, was having his French 3/4 students take a quiz in the Old School House. When prompted to elaborate on his initial reaction, he said, “I hoped the power outage didn’t last long because some of my plans involved using the internet.”

During the outage, Doris Yuan (‘19) was taking a math test in Mr. Walker’s AP Calc AB class. “At the moment when it went dark, I thought we were going to end the test, because it was really dark.” However, Doris’ hopes were crushed when Mr. Walker continued the test.

Shortly after the power outage, the tech department revived the internet by turning on the generator in the schools. At 10:20, the power came back. The moment the lights and fans turned on in the library, students began cheering and clapping to express their excitement.

Some people had a very personal investment in keeping the power on. Tom Jurczak, science department faculty member, said, “I had a free block, so I was off campus getting groceries—fresh fish for dinner. Then the power’s out. Great. I threw the fish into the fridge and closed it immediately. We still ate the fish and it was really good.”

Tim Coates, Director of Information Technology, informed journalists that the power outage occurred because the utility company accidentally shut the power down.  

Stephen Li, Staff Writer

Stephen Li (‘21) is from Beijing, China. He enjoys taking pictures, making short films, and playing sports such as football, basketball, and track and...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Power crashes at Webb”

1. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:17 pm

My Internet did not start working. In fact it didn’t work until the power was restored. Maybe chandler is too far. Also I’m with sprint so my hotspot didn’t work because they are terrible service providers.

2. Mr Caddy on September 24th, 2018 1:21 pm

I’d also like to inquire what kind of fish Mr Jurczak had and how he prepared it.

• Power crashes at Webb

Your guide to stress less week

• Power crashes at Webb

Homecoming 2018: Bring on the Roaring 20’s

• Power crashes at Webb

Fires blaze over the weekend

• Power crashes at Webb

A heated battle in Florida

• Power crashes at Webb

Journalists under attack

• Power crashes at Webb

Catastrophic effects of climate change

• Power crashes at Webb

Freshmen appoint ¾ class officers; WSC president requires runoff

• Power crashes at Webb

Webb meets Hogwarts: the new house system

• Power crashes at Webb

New VWS students embrace tradition at Signing In Ceremony

• Power crashes at Webb

Sophomore class helps serve the community

Power crashes at Webb