Filed under Features, Showcase

How to survive Parents’ Day

Parents gather on the quad and enjoy Parents' Day.

Dust off your blazers, do your homework, and get to class on time because Parents’ Day is coming just around the corner. Parents’ Day is a time for parents to see and understand what it is actually like to be a Webb student. The event will begin on October 5th with parents following students throughout their day at Webb.

The class schedule has been modified to fit in all classes (see below for full schedule), so parents have the opportunity to visit each class. Parents’ Day allows parents to get a glimpse into Webb life, along with the structure of their classes and what their child is learning.

Although this day might be easier in terms of schoolwork for students, it can be stressful for some to go through their day with their parents tagging along. To help make Parents’ Day more enjoyable, follow these steps:

Catch up on work.

You want to look and feel prepared and ready for class, so get your work done. Make sure you have everything you need for each class and everything is organized. Did the teacher tell you to label sections in your binder at the beginning of the school year? Now is the perfect time to actually get that done, so you know where everything is. This event is a chance for you to get everything together and be prepared for the rest of the year (or until your binder gets messed up again).

Participate in class.

Parents’ Day is a great opportunity to impress your parents with everything you have learned in school so far. Remember to ask and answer questions, take notes, and pay extra attention to what is going on in class.

Introduce your friends.

One major worry for students is how they will have fun with their friends, while their parents are following them around all day. An easy way to avoid an awkward situation is by introducing parents to your friends. Tell them what classes you have together, what sports they play, or just something about your friend to get a quick conversation started. Remember, your friends will most likely have their parents with them too, so this Friday is also a great opportunity for your parents to meet new people.

Balance your time.

You do not have to spend every second of this day with your parents. It is important to spend most of your time with them because they are here for you, but you can spend some time with just your friends too. Find little pockets of time to hang out when your parents are doing other things. For example, you can ask your parents if it would be okay if you went and ate lunch with just your friends. You could meet up with them after you eat, or before your next class. There is also a meeting in Liu Cheung Theater for only parents, so you will have time to socialize during this block of time. Find what works best for you, but remember not to ditch your parents all day.

Have fun!

This phrase sounds cliché, but Parents’ Day is the perfect time for you to show your parents all the ups and downs of being a Webb student. The day will fly by with short classes and fun activities, so enjoy this break from the typical stressful day. Also do not forget that October break begins when your last commitment ends on Friday, so you are free for almost a week.

Times Event
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. A Block
8:40 – 9:10 a.m. B Block
9:20 – 9:50 a.m. C Block
10:00 – 10:50 a.m. Parents Assembly in Liu Cheung Theater
11:00 – 11:30 a.m. D Block
11:40 a.m. – 12:10 p.m. E Block**
11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. Lunch at Price Dining Hall
1:00 – 1:30 p.m. F Block
1:40 – 2:10 p.m. G Block

**Correct times have been updated as of 12:46 p.m. on Friday, October 5th.

Kaitlyn De Armas, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn De Armas (‘21) is a new sophomore staff writer from La Verne, California. As a three season athlete at Webb, she is a member of JV volleyball, varsity soccer, and varsity softball teams. Kaitlyn joined the Webb Canyon Chronicle team this year to stay involved with campus life through documenting school events, improving her journalistic writing skills, and sharing her perspectives with the larger Webb community. She plans to use this opportunity to practice investigative journalism as she plans to study criminal psychology in university. In her free time, Kaitlyn enjoys listening to 00’s music and playing with her adorable pet Shih Tzu named Coco.