Filed under Features

Go get granola bars!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Go get granola bars!

Manek Khedia (‘21) holds up a handful of granola bar wrappers.

Kaitlyn De Armas

Kaitlyn De Armas

Kaitlyn De Armas

Webb provides all meals and snacks for both boarding and day students. Some of these foods are more popular than others, but nothing seems to compare to the new introduction of Chewy granola bars to the snack area. Students go crazy for these bars, and they are often gone before lunch.

Unlike the Chewy granola bars, the Kashi (Honey Almond Flax) and Nature Valley (Oats and Honey Crunchy Granola) bars are often fully stocked throughout the day.

Mira Allis (‘22) said, “The granola bars are very sweet and crunchy.”

Students love the accessibility and sweet flavor of these granola bars. However, because of the bars’ popularity, they disappear not long after being stocked. Getting this snack becomes an issue for students who do not have the time to grab one in the morning, when they are fully stocked.

Over the course of three days I counted the total number of Quaker “Chewy” granola bars to see how long it took for them to disappear. This data does not include the raisin Quaker granola bars, because the chocolate chip, s’mores, and peanut butter chocolate chip flavored ones are the most popular.

Time Monday 12/3 Tuesday 12/4 Wednesday 12/5
8:00 a.m. 34 42 37
11:50 a.m. 0 3 0
3:00 p.m. 0 0 0

With the Chewy granola bars being gone by the end of every academic day, it is evident that a handful of students are taking more than they need. This act can be seen as unethical because not everyone will be able to enjoy this chocolatey snack.

Megan Huang (‘21) said, “It’s kind of frustrating when you want a Chewy bar but there aren’t any available and you have to resort to something else.”

The dining hall provides more than enough granola bars and snacks for the students, but still not everyone is able to enjoy them because of how quickly they are taken. When focusing on their own needs instead of those of other students, it is easy to see why students grab them while they can, and often take more than they need.

Students worry that when they need a snack there will not be any of these granola bars available for them, so they hoard more than they need in preparation. However, this “preparation” means that there is a good chance that someone else who wants one will not be able to get it. By following this logic, the student is actually creating the problem they fear: the granola bars run out.

Putting these bars in an open environment creates a sense of trust that people will not take more than they need. This connects to the ethics in Webb’s mission statement which says, “The mission of The Webb Schools is to provide an exemplary learning community that nurtures and inspires boys and girls to become men and women who: think boldly, mindfully, and creatively; act with honor and moral courage; lead with distinction; serve with a generous spirit.”

If students follow this statement and “serve with a generous spirit,” there may be enough granola bars for everyone. With that in mind, it is important to be considerate, and not take more of this snack than is needed. The granola bars are there for everyone, so it is important that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy them.

Kaitlyn De Armas, Staff Writer

Kaitlyn De Armas (‘21) is a new sophomore staff writer from La Verne, California. As a three season athlete at Webb, she is a member of JV volleyball,...