VWS+cross+country+does+high+knees+and+warms+up+before+their+meet+in+hopes+of+winning+the+League+Finals.+

Eva Annabi

VWS cross country does high knees and warms up before their meet in hopes of winning the League Finals.

VWS Cross Country

Rae Brookshire, humanities department faculty:

Challenges: “Definitely starting this season, and coming back from COVID. A lot of people came back with different levels of fitness, so getting into the routine was definitely a challenge. Another challenge we had was just having a lot of new students to cross country, but that’s also been a really great opportunity.”

Successes: “Just incredible amounts of fitness gain. We’ve been holding up pretty well with third place in league, so hopefully, we will take that momentum into league finals.”

Highlight athlete: “We’ve had really solid leadership from all of our senior captains, Caroline Metz (‘22), Emma Holliday (‘22), Sunny Yu (‘22), and Jessica Huang (‘22). There’s been a really strong work ethic from all four of them. Taren Duffy (‘22) has been our first team runner consistently.”

Emma Holliday (‘22):

Challenges: “Some challenges this season was adjusting to Webb life and having to exert so much energy into afternoon activities.”

Thoughts on the season: “I feel like I had a really good season, I am really happy about the progress I made. I have improved significantly since freshman and sophomore season.”

Favorite memory: “My favorite memory has to be when our coach emailed us ‘Fun on Chandler’ so Caroline, Taren, and I thought that meant going to get food. So, we had Taco Bell and Boba, and we came back to campus and the coach told us we were running 4 miles. That was the sickest I have ever felt but the hardest I have ever laughed.”