Jolina+Zhao

Jolina Zhao

Jolina Zhao, from Walnut, California, decided to sell her personality for a business model project in 9th grade. Wearing a pair of navy green pants with ducks all over them (Mr. Szanyi was hesitant about this choice of outfit), she presented a YouTube video that advertised her funny and personable charm to her class (Mr. Szanyi ended up loving it). While this assignment was a simulation, Jolina continues to have an unparalleled presence in the Webb community. Her convocation speech delivered as the VWS student body president last fall sparked a memorable start to the school year by asking the school to consider WWJD, or, What Would Jolina Do? Even after she lost the class election during her freshman year, she was determined to keep running and, in the following years, became the sophomore class president as well as a junior vice executive. Beyond her experience in student leadership, Jolina applies her dedication to a wide variety of hobbies. She amazes everyone, whether striking awe in coaches by learning reverse dives inhumanly fast, grinding on Minecraft with her best friends during quarantine, or even learning how to do nail extensions. Her masterful flute solo was also the perfect accompaniment music for the Winter Dance Show. Jolina will continue expanding her interests as she double-majors in psychology and engineering at Rice University this fall. While she will miss the friends and connections she has established over the years, Jolina has left a legacy of constant joy and laughter in the Webb community.

Jolina likes to cuddle. You would be sitting on a couch or on a bed, and she will be like, ‘Want to cuddle?’ And then, she will whip out her feet and start grabbing you with her feet. That is why none of us [Jolina’s friends] want to cuddle with her. But no matter what, she always ends up finding a way to do it anyways.

— Angie Zhang ('23)