Art cafe is not only a place to appreciate Webbies’ art, but also a place to hang out and catch up with friends. Graphic Courtesy of Isa Flores (’21).

Art @ Webb

November 30, 2018

As the first Art Cafe of the year approaches, Webb’s artists are hard at work creating strong pieces for display on Friday, November 30th. While the majority of the artists appreciate the opportunity to showcase their work, most wish that the Webb community placed more emphasis on the art department. Displayed below are interviews with some of the school’s most talented creators, along with some of their favorite pieces.

Stephen Li (’21)

Photographer

What do you like about photography?

It’s just something I like. It helps me relax, and it’s really satisfying when I get a good shot and I’m able to share it because only around 40% of my photos are publishable. I love having photos because it’s a great way to keep memories of the places I visit.

What is your creative process?

Sometimes my work is spontaneous, like when I take morning walks with my dad in Beijing to local parks, but often my shots are planned. When I travel to a new place, I research locations and talk to people who have been there in order to get the coolest images. For editing, I not only edit the technical aspects of the photo like exposure, I sometimes try to bring out specific emotions from an image by changing colors or even the composition of the picture in Photoshop.

Do you think Webb gives you enough opportunities to make and share your art?

I think so, Journalism allows me to share plenty of photos, and Mr. Nichols has offered me and several other photographers the opportunity to showcase our work on Webb’s Flickr page. I do wish the Art Club hosted more art cafe events this year.

Maya Jaffe (’20)

Sculpturist

How did you make this piece?

I sketched the design ahead of time over a few weeks, but I was unsure about the colors, so I decided to pick them on the day I started the project. I was happy with the the way it turned out, but it needed something else, so with the help of Amanda Wang (‘20), I cut open the head and added the flowers.

How would you describe your art style?

Sculpting is new to me, last year I was in Media Arts so I was working mainly with photography and film, so this was my first really hands on project.

There is definitely enough opportunity to create art, but it is hard to find ways to share large pieces like mine. There isn’t really the space to make my art a part of the community.

Elizabeth Wang (‘21)

Visual Artist

What is the process behind making your work?

I normally don’t make a piece unless I feel particularly inspired. If a good idea comes to mind, I just run with it. I keep it pretty spontaneous, and I let my emotions flow into my work.

What do you think the role of art and artists should be at Webb?

I know that people are stressed a lot, but at the same time I would encourage them to channel that energy into something positive like art. It is relaxing, and it takes emphasis off grades and stress.

Roy Zhang (’22)

Musician

How do you go about selecting and learning a new piece to perform?

It does depend on the occasion. For a classical performance, I try to pick famous pieces from masters, like Mozart or Beethoven. If it’s for a school event, I choose a combination of popular and classical music. After I’ve chosen a piece, I listen to it being performed by many different musicians to get a feel for it then I just practice until I’ve mastered it.

Yes definitely. I love that there are pianos all over Webb so I can get the chance to play whenever I want. I even got the opportunity to perform at the Fox Theater with Drew Hersch on November 30th.

Bella Biane (‘19)

Painter

How did you make this piece?

I had come up with these characters a while ago, and I started to associate them with different colors and personalities. I love to work with color, and this piece was a combination of me wanting to paint and also my interest in free flowing ink. The ink led to these four different sections, and I decided to use them to tell a story.

Yes and no. I love Art Cafe, and the health center has given us opportunities to create projects for display there, but at the same time I think there should be more Art Cafes and places to exhibit our work. I appreciate the way the theater department works really hard in the build up for one event, but we are in the studio creating work all year round, and it would be nice to get some more recognition.