Molly Mitchell (‘20) poses with the program from To Kill a Mockingbird, which many said to be a highlight of the Art of Dramatic Writing Unbounded. Graphic Courtesy of Molly Mitchell (’20).

The Art of Dramatic Play Writing

Students in The Art of Dramatic Writing Unbounded course, led by Fine Arts Department Chair Stephanie Plumley and a professional playwright, spent three days diving into the “do’s” and “don’ts” of professional playwriting. On Wednesday, they learned how to develop  a plot and story arc, and they brainstormed their own ideas following the structure they had learned. On Thursday, students witnessed the West Coast premiere of the play adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird at Azusa Pacific University. On the final day, students shared the stories they had previously developed with the group, giving each other feedback on what they liked and what could be improved. Students were not forced to stick to play scripts, but rather to choose which medium they wanted to write in, including screenplays, regular prose, or even song. 

My favorite part was seeing To Kill a Mockingbird because I always love seeing amazing theatre, but this performance was so incredible. The actors completely embodied their characters and I got to see how the play followed the structures we had been learning about.

— Ariel Benjamin (‘20)