What is the final plan for Café 1175?

Sydney Mildon
Café 1175 recently got new drinks and snacks added to its refrigerator. Students are very excited about what else is to come for the café. “Because I’ve seen so many more drinks and snacks being added, I have been anticipating what else they are going to add,” Albert Taylor (‘26) said.

In the back corner of Stockdale Community Center, Café 1175 has recently been stocked to the brim with brand-new treats including bottled drinks, cakes, and more. With so many new items at the café, the question of whether the Webb will continue to upgrade the café for students to enjoy is raised.  

“It was always part of our plan that we were going to begin offering more snacks and drinks and just more options at the café.” said Ken Rosenfeld, Dean of Student Life. “But just like any business, you have to start out small and narrow to make sure your systems are in place before you grow and so this is just stage three of our Café launch.” 

So far, the Café has been opening in “stages.” Stage one featured just selling coffee and boba. Stage two was when they added some pastries to the café, and now they are moving on to stage three.  

With the commencement of stage three, students have been crowding the café looking at the new dessert and drink items in the fridge, buying a variety of coffee and refreshing drinks, or purchasing the bakery items that are set on display.  

Because this is only stage three, what does the future look like? 

In the next couple weeks, the café is planning to begin stage four of the café, in which they will be adding more healthy snack options, such as pita and hummus and celery and carrot sticks with ranch or nut butter. This addition will allow students to choose more balanced food items that are not as processed and sugary. 

So far, most have been happy with the new variety of options added to Café 1175, but others have been curious about possibly adding lunch options for students to buy as another alternative to the dining hall food, like sandwiches and salads.  

“I usually go to the café to buy something if I don’t want to eat anything in the dining hall,” Payton Delgado (‘25) said. “It would be great if the Café eventually has more lunch options to buy.” 

Lunch options will not be integrated into Café 1175 soon, but they will be a part of the finished product of the Café. Lunch options might be integrated into stage five of the process. So far, Café 1175 is only focused on adding a greater variety of snack options, especially healthy ones, into the mix. 

Café 1175 has also had some problems with its operating hours — sometimes the Café is meant to be open but is not, and other times it takes workers an extra 30 minutes to show up to work at the Café. So, students must wait in a long line until the Café can open.  

“I want to go to the Café to order something, and it says that it is open at twelve o’clock, but the staff worker doesn’t show up until 12:30 p.m.,” Michel Fountain (‘26) said. “The line eventually gets long, so I don’t have enough time to order what I want.” 

The Café is also thinking of integrating students to work in the café as well as students in classes such as Stories and Strategies of Entrepreneurs and ECON classes into the café, to give students more experience in a working atmosphere. 

“Students working at the Café is one potential option, but students interning is another way of looking at it,” Mr. Rosenfeld said. “Weaving in our academic courses could be great hands-on training skill building for [students].” 

Students working at the café will also be able to help keep fluid opening times during the week. Because all Café staff also work for the Price Dining Hall, they are very busy with working on other things as well as trying to keep the café open. The dining hall staff is also very understaffed, so also having students work at the café will help with this problem. 

There are a lot more plans for Café 1175 in the future, from healthy snacks and lunch options, to even trying to integrate students into working at the Café. Webb will continue to take feedback from students and staff alike to change the way Café 1175 operates for the better.