Matthew Cheung

Matthew+Cheung

Matthew Cheung’s sophisticated personality begins with his distinguished British accent — which he claims is actually from New Zealand. Regardless, this Briish boy spent most of his youth in Hong Kong, where he exclusively goes by “Matthew.” When at Webb, though, he’s Matt and beneath his metaphorical monocle, he has a keen eye for cooking. On occasion, Matt will exchange his British bowler hat for a chef’s toque, specializing in a nice cuppa (ramen), fried rice, and Thai or Japanese curry. In his free time, this ol’ chap can be found binge-watching YouTube and the Kingsman series or listening to pop, lofi, and even a little bit of jazz. On the weekends, he also enjoys strategy and role-playing games, like the Nier, Total War, and Persona series. After a long, work-filled week, even a distinguished fellow like Matt needs a break — and this little lad is laid-back. In the fall, Matt will study a STEM-related major at the University of Texas at Austin, where his refined British accent will mingle with a new southern twang. 

When I think of [Matt], I think of his expression with his side-eye and scrunched-up face, always hiding his undecipherable world of thought. I’m glad we became friends after I first stalked his Instagram account at the possibility of meeting a Hong Konger — without disappointment. He truly is one person I can always vent to in Cantonese, my first a-gor [older brother], and a selfless, improving cook keeping me ceaselessly well fed.

— Ryan Ho (‘25)