Joseph Yates

Joseph+Yates

There is always one person in class that shows up at least ten minutes late regardless of what block it is but can somehow still perfectly summarize the entire lesson and tell you what the homework is. Joseph Yates is that person, and anyone that has spoken to him at least once knows that although despite his dry, sarcastic humor and ambiguous phrases, he will always answer your questions. Joseph admits he has evolved quite a bit during his journey through Webb. If he could give some advice to his freshman self, it would be to go outside and start talking to people as soon as possible because “it’ll be hard, but you’ll learn a lot about yourself through other people.” However, many people might find Joseph’s idea of “going out” a bit unusual, as his ideal weekend would be to simply go off campus to Barnes and Noble with his friends, reading the first chapter in each of a pile of books while drinking teathis choice may be surprising, considering Joseph is also an active athlete, being a part of the team that broke a school record and made a CIF title for the 4 x 400 meter track relay. Perhaps the best reflection of Joseph’s personality are his favorite musical artists and movies: he watched Spiderman: Across the Spider-Verse at least ten times, and consistently listened to Tobi Lou to get him through his last school year. Although we may never be able to read Joseph’s mind, he hopes to learn how to understand others through a major in psychology at Pepperdine University next year as he continues to meet and bond with new people. 

He is tall, ominous, a little special, but overall- he’s not that bad.

— Ben Brudnicki (‘24)