Mirabel Raphael

Mirabel+Raphael

Mirabel Raphael defies every stereotype of a 21st-century teenager. She goes to bed at 9:00 p.m. and rises at 5:30 a.m.; she routinely swims 1,000 meters or hikes Claremont Wilderness Park for personal fulfillment; and she meticulously plans her activities down to half-hour increments up to one month in advance. Despite her superhuman ability to juggle a zillion commitments at once, Mirabel also finds time to form strong bonds with underclassmen through her signature grin and unique sense of humor. On the VWS JV tennis team, she adopts the “email girl” role and crafts daily paragraphs featuring anything from game highlights to the BYOOOOS (Bring Your Own Orange Or Other Snack) policy. Around campus, her natural leadership abilities shine through her work as student government vice executive, award-winning debate team captain, chapel council member, and head’s student leaders council member. But the key to her success is her willingness to venture outside her comfort zone, whether dissecting Psycho’s multifaceted filming techniques, presenting about scapherpetons at the Western Association of Paleontology Conference, or overcoming her fear of physical education through triathlon. As Mirabel heads off to Yale University in the fall with a major in Global Affairs, Webb will miss one of its most caring, witty, and vocal student leaders with the most impeccable fashion taste, but we know that she will use the same drive to tackle the world’s next pressing issue and continue to defy every stereotype of a 21st-century adult.  

It’s fried-egg on a Wednesday with Mirabel.

— Theresa Hu (‘24)