Participants gather in San Francisco for a rally against anti-Asian hate crimes

Maria Duan
A man holds a “Stop Racism” poster in the middle of Portsmouth Square, San Francisco to raise awareness for recent victims of Asian hate crimes.

During the past year, the entire nation has watched antiAsian hate crimes rise throughout the U.S. as a result of the pandemic. Because COVID-19 was first discovered in Wuhan, China, many blamed the Asian community for the virus’s effects on their lives. San Francisco is no different, with its multiple Chinatowns and a large population of both Chinese Americans and new immigrants. Some of the more recent incidents include an attack on a 75yearold elderly Chinese woman who fought back and an 83yearold Vietnamese man 

On Saturday, March 20th, hundreds came to Portsmouth Square, a gathering spot in Chinatown, to rally against the hate crimes directed at the Asian community. During the rally, demonstrators painted butterflies on the ground, wrote letters, and made kites There were also counselors and support groups in place for people to grieve and relieve their feelings. Other locations for protests, vigils, and rallies this weekend around the Bay Area include Daly City, Brisbane, Oakland, and San Jose.