Doors vs. Wheels

Nicole Rabadi
Taylor Crawford (‘23) points to the wheels on a car in the DSPL to show her support for the Wheels side of the Doors vs. Wheels debate.

Are there more doors or wheels in the world?

This question took over social media by storm these past few weeks. It has caused turmoil and division amongst people on the internet, and Webb was not excluded from the chaos.

In internet fashion, once the simple question of doors or wheels hit the ground, it hit the ground running. The question became very divisive as TikTok videos and comments flooded the platform with why people think there are more doors or wheels in the world.

We strongly advocate for the wheels side of the argument because it is the most logical answer.

After interviewing students and faculty, we have gathered that more people on the Webb campus believe that there are more wheels than doors in the world. We went around asking students and faculty about their opinions and we received many passionate and varied opinions on whether there are more doors or wheels.

“Definitely doors because of apartments, buildings, drawers, dresses, and things like that,” Brandon Arteaga (‘24) said.

“Doors because of apartment buildings, houses, and look at all of those doors in every bedroom,” said Cindy Jeantete, Attendance Coordinator and lead advisor of the DSP program.

While we got a lot of team doors opinions, we also heard valid arguments from the other side on how there are more wheels in the world.

Anthony Flucker, humanities faculty, explained his reasoning for being team wheels.

“Hands down, wheels all the way because humans make everything in circular shapes and everything that has an axis or pivot point needs a wheel,” Mr. Flucker said.

Julia Fenner (‘23) also agreed on wheels and gave a strong stance on why she thinks so.

“There is absolutely no question that it’s wheels. Do you know how many tires there are in the world? Skyscrapers have a lot of rolling chairs and hotels have a lot of suitcases,” Julia said.

Supporting that view, Logan Causley (‘22) looks at the more technical side of things.

“Wheels because a lot of things contain wheels. There are wheels within devices we don’t see, within watches, cars, suitcases, all kinds of electronics,” Logan said.

Both Webb students and the internet agree that team wheels is the correct answer.

It is not possible to keep track of all the wheels in the world because there are constantly new wheels being made. After all, since the invention of the wheel in 3,500 BCE, the world has been constantly producing more.

This article, “Wheels vs Doors” goes into more detail about wheels by saying, “About 152,971 passenger cars were manufactured in 2020 alone (that’s 17 a second!), and even Hot Wheels produces close to 15 cars every second! And that’s not taking into account all of the wheels turned out each day for bicycles, shopping carts, airplanes, office chairs, and non-Hot Wheels toys.”

Though the tensions have been high recently on campus because of the viral debate, members of the Webb community have stayed civil throughout. Students, faculty, and the general public alike agree that there are more wheels than doors in the world.