Webb Robotics Team strive to innovate as the season’s final matches begin

Phillip Park
Jake Hui (’25) and David Liu (’25) work on Webb Robotics’ 359 team robot. This is the Robotics Lab at Chandler Room 322, where the two juniors are working on their robot for the FIRST Tech Challenge, or FTC for short. Jake has been a member for three years, while David only started this fall.

“The engineering process at Webb robotics is distinctly unique from other schools,” Tyler Liu (‘25) said.  

Tyler is a part of the Webb Robotics Team 359, just one of the three robotics teams at Webb that gather during the afternoon to compete in the FTC, a game that requires students to build and program their own robots to cooperate with other teams to win games.  

“Instead of using time and resources on trial and error, my associates used Computer Aided Design, or CAD, to model our blueprints in real time, allowing us to make creative changes without effecting the structural integrity of our robot itself,” Tyler said. 

To do so, members of the Webb robotics team first come together to brainstorm a basic design for their robot, customized by the teams to compete in all season. 

For this year’s game, for example, teams create a mosaic on a board with hexagonal game pieces while achieving secondary objectives. Each member can contribute to the project, and the leaders compile this information into a cohesive blueprint, where some of Webb’s advanced technology comes into play to help. 

“We use Finite Element Analysis to simulate our CAD models, allowing us to optimize designs by reducing unnecessary weight and getting rid of stress concentrations,” Jonathan Li (‘25) said. Once we have a finalized plan, we use a state-of-the-art Computer numerical control, or CNC machine, 3D printer, and even a laser cutter to custom model pieces to our every whim.”  

The CAD program empowers designs to transform within real time, trying out multitudes of possibilities within a day without altering the existing robot, allowing for only the best work to be reflected on the machine. In addition, custom parts that can be made from filament, wood, metal, or even carbon fiber allow for unparalleled flexibility in design that lets the creativity of the Webb Robotics members shine. 

Once the conceptual work is done, members are quick to work on finalizing the vision, secure with the knowledge that the process has been carefully tested to reduce the number of mistakes that could derail the project and focusing more on expanding their horizons in the pursuit to victory at the FTC.