Core principles drive VWS basketball team

@vwsvarsitybasketball on Instagram
Nicole Sampson (‘26), shoots against an opposing team, while an eager audience awaits the outcome of her shot. As Webbies reminisce on the team’s remarkable progression through CIF, the question of how this team made it this far begins to appear. “Everyone on the team gets along, and with new people coming in and stepping up in leadership, we have really good shot at CIF next year,” Geniya Parker (‘26) said.

On February 9th, the VWS Basketball team set out to defeat the one team that stood between them and the southern section playoffs. The outcome, a score of 33-47, was bittersweet, making this year’s tournament the furthest the team has progressed since 2013.  

Veronnica Alvarado, head VWS basketball coach, and Yesela Tadeo, Dean of Residential Life led the Varsity team to CIF, with support from JV coaches Brian Kays, science department faculty, and Leah Moore, humanities department faculty. In an interview, Dean Tadeo revealed the secret of the team’s success this season.  

“For us coaches, we focused on getting 1% better each day, focusing on the process of trusting one another, trusting the coaches, and being committed to the team and practice times,” Ms. Tadeo said. “After each game, we watched a lot of films this year, which was big.”  

Their emphasis on basketball fundamentals is one of the key factors of the team’s advancement, according to various members of the team.  

“It was just us working together as a team,” Geniya said. “Everyone taking little things they do well and applying it – that built us together as a team.” 

Each team member brought their induvial strengths to the table creating a strong collective team. Players who came into this season with pre-established connections and past game experience were able to better analyze each other’s strengths and those of their opponents. 

“Everyone on the team got along well, which I think is why we’re able to trust each other so well in the game environments,” Geniya said. 

A team can only excel when all members are respected and supported by one another. It was the extra effort players put in – showing up to morning practices, outside communication in student-led group chats- that allowed the team to make recent Webb history. 

“We all left Saturday feeling sad, of course, for the seniors who lost,” Ms. Tadeo said. “But also, we’re excited for what’s to come. I think we’re proud of the accomplishments, the growth of this team, and the cohesiveness we built. It was really like a family.”