Jacky Qi (’25)

Jacky Qi (’25) is a rising senior boarding student applying for Student Government Exec.

1. What are THREE (3) goals you would devote your time to pursuing as an Executive Officer (Exec) of Stu Gov?

a. Creating activities or workshops that center around mental health and support services

b. Implementing a campus sustainability initiative to reduce the environmental impact of Webb

c. Collaborating with different leadership groups to address students’ needs and concerns

2. Find and transcribe a quote that you believe best exemplifies your approach to leadership. Be sure to cite the person who is credited for the quotation. (Ex. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” —Nelson Mandela)

A leader is best when people barely know he exists. When his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves. —Lao Tzu

I chose this quote to exemplify my approach to leadership, because I like how it challenges traditional notions of leadership by emphasizing the importance of servant leadership. Servant leadership is a paradigm that prioritizes group members’ well-being and growth above the leader’s own interests or ambitions. It embodies the idea of leading by serving, where leaders view themselves as stewards of their team’s success rather than authoritative figures. The core of servant leadership aligns with my own

belief in empowering others and fostering their development which ultimately leads to collective achievements.

Two years ago as the Class Vice President, I experienced the true essence of serving a community. I felt great joy from decorating Homecoming and planning Webb Day, while watching my fellow students enjoy these events. I knew all my efforts were worthwhile.

Just as the Chinese Philosopher Lao Tzu said, I hope not to take credit for my work. Rather, I hope to be an additional driving force for our Webb students to cultivate trust, change, and innovation within our community. By empowering others, I wish to create an environment where individuals feel valued, respected, and motivated to excel, which will ultimately lead to increased morale, engagement, and productivity on a collective basis. To achieve this goal, I am willing to be the trailblazer or the steppingstone for the success of the whole community.

3. List THREE (3) skills or qualities you possess that you would utilize in your work as an Exec.

a. Communication

b. Collaboration

c. Empathy

4. The 2024-25 school year will mark the first year of the unified Webb Schools of California. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your vision for the 2024-25 school year, specifically addressing any challenges we may face during this transitional year, and how you, as an Exec, would address these challenges? (Please note: Addressing the challenges does not mean that you are expected to resolve them.)

As we embark on the 2024-2025 school year of the unified Webb Schools of California, my vision is to embrace the spirit of unity. While the consolidation of two schools into one inevitably brings about challenges, as the two schools shared different traditions, it nonetheless also leaves the possibility of building a stronger and more cohesive community. A main problem we might face would be the integration of two schools’ different administrative structures. A phenomenon I noticed is that there tends to be divisions and not enough communications between WSC’s and VWS’s student leadership groups. As an Executive Officer, I will prioritize initiatives that promote integration and conversations between WSC and VWS students. More importantly, I see an urgent need for all student leadership groups, from both schools, to work collaboratively and have meetings to smoothen the process of schools combining. Additionally, I hope to work closely with faculties and staff to address any concerns or conflicts which may arise along the process. By embracing the spirit of unity, we can overcome challenges and lay a solid foundation for a bright future of the Webb Schools of California.

5. Which of the Four Pillars of Stu Gov resonates most with you, your values, your interests, and your goals – Service, Advocacy, Joyful Engagement, or Collaboration? In one paragraph, please explain your connection with this pillar.

Out of the four pillars, Joyful Engagement resonates deeply with me, as it aligns closely with my belief in the power of positivity, enthusiasm, and active participation in creating a vibrant and inclusive community. I believe when individuals get involved in student government activities with joy and passion, it not only enhances their own experiences but also uplifts the entire community. I have always been a “family-oriented” person, which means I care about whether others sharing a space with me feel safe, belonged, and loved. For example, last year as a prefect of Holt, I interacted with a drastically diverse group of residents. I learned how they are all unique individuals and enjoyed each of their companies in different ways. Specifically, the freshmen in my dorm have brought great amounts of happiness for all. I was mostly impacted by Quinn and Kai, whose positive attitudes and vibrancy even helped me put our dorm family more together. Joyful Engagement inspires affinity, creativity, and collaboration, which ultimately enriches the students’ experiences and fosters meaningful connections beyond campus. I hope to incorporate my past experiences with my new position as an EXEC and continue to create meaningful conversations with the ones I serve.

6. Senator Diane Feinstein is attributed with saying, “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” What do you believe is the greatest desire of the student body?

In my opinion, the greatest desire of the Webb student body is to be heard, valued, and supported in their academic pursuits and personal growth. At Webb, students are driven by a shared commitment to excellence in both scholarly and personal endeavors.

Academically, they seek challenging coursework, innovative learning opportunities, and access to resources that will equip them with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in their chosen fields.

Moreover, Webb students value personal growth and development as integral components of their education. They are eager to explore their interests, discover their passions, and cultivate their talents in a supportive and nurturing environment. Whether through extracurricular activities, leadership opportunities, or community service initiatives, students seek experiences that will help them grow as individuals, develop essential life skills, and contribute meaningfully to society.

I see this student leadership position as a way to offer support. To realize this desire, we need a campus culture that prioritizes open communication, mutual respect, and a genuine commitment to students’ well-being, both academic and personal. In essence, here is my understanding of the Webb student body’s core values: a dedication to excellence, a thirst for knowledge, and a commitment to making a positive impact on the world around them. As they work hard to achieve these goals, I believe I could offer them help by building a bridge that connects their wants and needs to the Webb faculties and staff.

7. If you were given one school day, a budget of twenty thousand dollars, and complete authority to plan a program for the entire community…

a. What would be your goals for the day?

I wish to create a cultural festival that helps people learn about various cultures’ traditions. This will be through workshops, guest speakers, and community dinner.

b. What would the agenda/schedule look like?

Morning Session 9am:

– Gathering at Stockdale for icebreaker

– guest speaker will talk about various traditions

– invite student speakers to talk about their own culture and traditions.

Workshop Session 1 10:30am to 12pm:

– Different stations setup such as Southern Asian Food culture, Native Tribe object learnings, Chinese Calligraphy etc.

– Students will be able to choose their experiences prior to the event via Google Form, changes can be made to sessions if students have strong preferences.

Lunch Break

Workshop Session 2 1:20pm to 2:30pm:

– Students head to their next session

– Same format as #1, but students will be able to choose a different workshop

Voluntary Cleanup 3pm

Optional Discussion with Guest Speaker 3:30pm:

– A chance for people to ask questions

– In the library, for discussion purposes about cultural impacts

Student Voted Performance 5pm

Community Dinner/ Festival food 5:45pm:

– Various stations featuring different cuisines

– Dining hall and Stockdale Center