Garry Zhang

Garry+Zhang

Garry Zhang can cook in more ways than one. A fan of Breaking Bad, he has loved conducting experiments ever since he started reading chemistry books in early elementary school. Garry used his red packet money to create fume hoods and conduct chemistry experiments in his parent’s house, almost starting a hydrogen fire in the process. Transferring his chemistry passions and lab talents to Webb, you will find him stooped down in Thornton lab at his personal fume hood to develop a synthesizing process for an HIV cure. However, Garry does not only cook in the chemistry sense; he is also a master of the kitchen. A connoisseur of the humble North Hutch rice cooker, you may find him at 2:00 AM making hot pot, chicken soup, or even rice. But Garry is not just about chemistry and food. He loves water polo, growing tomatoes in his room, and playing Minecraft the night before his Thesis Seminar paper is due. Next year, Garry looks to continue his development of chemical synthesis at Caltech with a double major in Chemistry and Physics, while minoring in Math. With his amazing gifts in scientific thought, the culinary arts, and making people smile, Garry truly does cook.  

He shows his love for life through late night hotpot with his friends or making me a microwave-steamed-whole-fish. He personally shaped so much of my passion for chemistry and my love for life. I can’t imagine my current self without him.

— Sehoon Kang (‘24)