Students celebrate creativity at second Art Cafe of the year

Patrick Dóñez
Students draw on paper-covered tables at Art Cafe.

On Friday, March 8th, students gathered in the art room to celebrate each other’s work in the second Art Cafe of the year. The show was packed as people wandered the room looking at the dozens of paintings, photos, drawings, and sculptures, or playing Super Smash Bros and eating free pizza. The show was as popular as ever.

Patrick Dóñez
Students crowd around the art room projector watching their classmates compete in Super Smash Bros: Ultimate.

Andy Zhang (‘21) said, “I’m glad there are events like Art Cafe that give us the opportunity to express ourselves.”

In the past, Art Club has planned for more events like museum trips and school-wide mural projects, which club president Tiffany Chang (‘19) has said are still in the works. The Art Club generally holds three Art Cafes per year, with the final event being held at the annual Jubilee festival, so there is still time to start new art traditions.

The line to play friends in video games and the packed drawing tables indicate that Art Cafe is one of the most popular activities Webb runs, and artists love having their work displayed. But like many art-loving students, Abbie Oh Arroyo (‘21) wishes the club would expand past the three exhibitions and take an even larger role in the Webb community. With yet another show coming later this year, hopefully the club continues to host great events.

Patrick Dóñez
Wyatt Andrews (‘21) teaches Hank Sun (‘22) some simple “Paleo-art.”