Behind the Hydro Flask and Vines: VSCO culture at Webb

Liz+Bowman+%2822%29+poses+with+her+Hydro+Flask.+
Josie Hamilton (‘23)
Liz Bowman (’22) poses with her Hydro Flask.

Distinguishing a goth girl from an egirl or a skater boy from an epic gamer may seem impossible. The year 2019 has seemed to welcome the birth of a new fad. The “VSCO” culture—descending from the “Basic Girl”—has grasped the attention of all media. Their presence is easy to sense from miles away, all you have to do is look out for the surefire signs.

A VSCO girl is usually a teenage girl who models beige Birkenstock sandals, drinks only out of her hot pink Hydro Flask that aids her valiant efforts to save the turtles, and adorns her hair with an extravagant amount of scrunchies. When conversing with one, be prepared to hear “sksksk”, “and I oop” multiple times in a sentence. 

If you are fortunate to be close to her, she may even direct your attention towards her bright pink or baby blue phone in order to flood your vision with some of the epically cringe-worthy but extremely comical and uplifting Tik Toks that she has created with the help of her VSCO girlfriends.

VSCO girl’s equally meme-worthy counterparts, VSCO boys, have been racking up quite a grandiose fan club. They are often seen parading around in white Vans, Nike shorts, Vineyard Vines apparel, and twinning with VSCO girls with their hydro flasks. 

If you are having trouble coming to terms with the concept of VSCO  boys, just look to the group’s awe-inspiring role models, such as Jacob Sartorius and Joey Pescatore. Their skater boy physique and adorably funny Tik Toks give eboys and goth guys a run for their money in their efforts to steal the hearts of Webbies and many other adolescents worldwide. 

As the new Webb freshman class strode across the campus on the brisk afternoon of August 16th, with their environmentally sustainable Hydro Flask clinking and clanking, they could not possibly foresee the legacy that they would leave on the Webb Schools in their first year. The class of 2023, the soon-to-be deemed “VSCO Class,” distills what it means to truly be part of that subculture. 

Josie Hamilton (’23) is a self-proclaimed “meme VSCO girl.”

Often classified by her fellow classmates as a prime example of a VSCO girl, she wholly embodies the persona but also adds her own unique twist. Josie adds an edge to the culture, combining the soft pastels with flannels and a dark goth vibe. 

Mick Adkins (‘23), carrying the honorable title as the sole VSCO boy of the freshman class, also portrays the impact of VSCO culture at Webb. He dresses in Adidas clothing, wears anklets, and his slides. Adkins adores Tik Toks that support and bolster the LGBTQ+ community. 

Mick said, “I speak like a VSCO boy, when something happens over text I always say ‘and I oop’.” 

Brandon Martin (‘21) said, “The freshman class is 100% a VSCO class.”

Though the class of 2023 utterly exhibits what it means to follow the VSCO lifestyle, traces of this trend could be found in various other classes. 

Brandon is the poster child for the VSCO  boy in the junior class. He owns a hilarious and popular Tik Tok account (@notbmartin) and completely portrays the VSCO boy identity. Martin can be seen sporting trendy pastels and “spilling the tea.” 

Like the freshmen, the class of 2020 embody the stereotype and are not afraid to show off their inner VSCO. A majority of them can be seen wearing their oversized t-shirts, recommending Tik Toks, and ‘hitting the woah’ on their way to class. 

Michelle Munguia (’20) said, “Seniors in general think it is a meme and embrace it.”

The sophomore class tends not to flaunt their inner VSCO girl and boy nature outwardly. A great number can be seen wearing the fashion trend, but do not seem to let people into their secret VSCO side as the freshmen and other classes do. 

Isabella Llorens (‘22) said, “There definitely is a group of VSCO girls in our grade, but that tends to be the same in every class.”

She does admit that there seems to be a heavy presence in the freshman class. She said, “I have noticed the most in the freshman class, but that could be because of multiple things like style and personality.”

Whether you adorn yourself with black makeup or lock yourself in your dorm room and use Minecraft servers as your only form of human interaction, Webb has developed a true haven for all things utterly unique. You cannot help but admit that VSCO culture, especially in the Class of 2023, brightens everyone’s day with their Tik Toks and beautiful golden hour selfies

As VSCO culture continues to shape and change the community, find time to embrace it by occasionally ‘hitting the woah’ on your way to class. Or if someone asks you why you display your sticker covered Hydro Flask remember to say, “You know, to save the turtles.” Just remember that in a world of rising and failing trends, stick to what you are comfortable with and the Webb community will always have a place for you. 

View Comments (1)