Senior Fall Sport Athletes Reach the End of the Road

Max+Fargo+%28%E2%80%9821%29+%28top+left%29%2C+Livia+Hughson+%28%E2%80%9821%29+%28bottom+left%29+and+Johnathon+Maschler+%28%E2%80%9821%29+%28right%29+in+action+for+the+Gauls+last+season.+
Graphic courtesy of Matthew Gaw (’21).
Max Fargo (‘21) (top left), Livia Hughson (‘21) (bottom left) and Johnathon Maschler (‘21) (right) in action for the Gauls last season.

On January 19th 2021, CIF Southern Section released the expected yet heart-breaking news that the fall sports season in Southern California would be officially coming to an end in March, with none of the fall sports at Webb having been able to begin competitions at all. 

While this news certainly comes as a disappointment to all, it is especially saddening for the class of 2021 seniors, who will be unable to complete their final years of sports. The adjusted fall season sports include the likes of volleyball, football, water polo and cross country, which have all been extremely popular sports at Webb that have attracted countless enthusiastic athletes.  

“I was definitely hoping for a season so it hurt having to hear that news, but I wouldn’t say it was a shock necessarily given these circumstances,” said Max Fargo (‘21), captain of the WSC water polo team.  

Max Fargo has played water polo at the club level since a young age and earned a starting spot on the Gauls since his freshmen year. 

The senior season of high school sports normally represent stepping into a more crucial role on the team with increased playing time and heightened leadership responsibilities, elements that many athletes look forward to as they strive to make the best out of their final year. However, class of 2021 athletes will have to silently bid farewell to their passions, having competed together as a team for the final time last year without even knowing it would be their last. While some fortunate athletes will be continuing their careers in college, this announcement marks the end of the road for many others, who have shared an inseparable relationship with their sports since a young age.  

Water polo has been my life for the last 12 years and I’ve loved every second of it,” Max said. It was through this sport that I’ve met some of my closest friends and bonded with classmates at school.   

Just before his highly anticipated junior year season, Max suffered a season ending injury after a knee dislocation forced him to undergo surgery. After sitting out for his junior season, Max was especially determined to return for his final year of water polo with a well experienced roster including four senior starters. Yet, he was met with disappointment once again following the cancellation of the season. While Max’s initial plans for college recruitment hopes faded due to his untimely injury, he still hopes to continue playing water polo recreationally at college and is adamant in making a full recovery to get back in the pool.  

For cross country runner Lily Miller (‘21), the cancellation of the season became quite apparent early on with the rapidly climbing cases and death toll, but the official announcement still came as a disappointment given her strong commitment to the sport throughout her life.  

“Ever since I’ve landed on cross country, I’ve experienced competing, winning, losing, but most importantly, friendships, excitement and what it means to be on a team,” said Lily, who has made three CIF State Championship appearances in her Webb cross country career 

“Even though things are not the same during the pandemic, the friendships and memories that I have had with my fellow teammates over the past three years continue into my final year,Lily said.  

Lily was accepted to Bates College on an Early Decision admission last November and plans to continue her athletic journey on both the cross country and track teams 

When asked about missing out on their senior seasons, other Webb athletes shared their thoughts on the news as well.  

Webb is such an academically focused school that sports became a place where I could escape everyday life, and focus on something that I could control, therefore it’s really sad that I will be missing out on these opportunities,” said Livia Hughson (‘21), member of the VWS Varsity water polo player at Webb. Livia picked up water polo last year after having swam competitively for her whole life and fell in love with the team-bonding elements of the sport.  

It’s unfortunate that I most likely will not be able to get back together with any of my teammates this year for any sport because sports had been such a big part of my life outside of school,” said Johnathon Maschler (‘21), member WSC Varsity Cross Country runner.  

As fall sports come to an end, let us all remember the unforgettable memories that our seniors in the class of 2021 have left on the field, on the court, or in the pool. While the pandemic has unfortunately robbed them of their muchdeserved farewell, the hard work and commitment they put into their sports will never be overlooked 

When the world one day returns to normal, and students can sit at packed bleachers, holding up decorated signs and banners, yelling words of encouragement for their friends on senior night, let us cheer not only for the athletes on the court, but also for the athletes that never got to enjoy this very moment in 2021.