Webb’s winter dance show celebrates 100 years of history

The+Webb+dance+company+performs+on+the+Raymond+M.+Alf+Museum+steps+under+a+palette+of+colorful+lights.+Michael+Szanyi%2C+head+of+the+dance+program%2C+worked+with+Webb%E2%80%99s+theater+tech+crew+to+bring+these+colorful+spotlights+and+special+effects+such+as+smoke+to+the+outdoor+space.+Paired+with+music+and+choreography%2C+the+lights+helped+the+dancers+portray+emotions+to+their+audience.+
Noe Chock (’23)
The Webb dance company performs on the Raymond M. Alf Museum steps under a palette of colorful lights. Michael Szanyi, head of the dance program, worked with Webb’s theater tech crew to bring these colorful spotlights and special effects such as smoke to the outdoor space. Paired with music and choreography, the lights helped the dancers portray emotions to their audience.

The Webb Dance Company impressed audiences with an abstract yet emotional performance on February 4th and 5th. Under the starry night, the performance featured music from alumni, choreography from students and faculty, and a palette of colors created by spotlights showcasing the dancers’ hard work from the winter season.

This year’s dance show, entitled “Centum,” relives Webb’s past 100 years and featured dances that incorporated aspects of Webb’s history such as building the chapel. The choreography was built on motifs based on counts of ten, hinting at Webb’s 100th anniversary. The show also referenced the present and future, key components the dance company wanted to display in their message to the Webb community.

“The show choreographically references hallmarks of Webb’s history, mission, and unbounded philosophy,” said Michael Szanyi, head of the dance program. “Using contemporary dance influence, the show thematically explores past, present, and future, considering the nature of perspective and progress.”

While Mr. Szanyi choreographed half of the dances, the seniors led small groups of dancers with their own choreography and created their own solos.

Upperclassmen in the dance company showcased their leadership through encouraging students to take risks and learn new forms of dancing.

“I have a solo that I choreographed, and Emily Wang and I have a dance that we choreographed with six other freshmen and sophomores,” Isabella Llorens (‘22) said. “Mr. Szanyi gave us the music and we had free range from there.”

The choreography for “Centum” was especially meaningful to the school as many pieces of the music came from alumni including Felicity Doyle (‘04), Summer Swee-Singh (‘07), Jarel Hill (‘08), Nathan Turczan (‘09), Ben Davis (‘11), and Drew Hersch (‘19).

The performance also aligned with three college essays written by Webb students — Madeline Lilley (‘22), Nicholas Lee (‘22) and Hunter Lange (‘22) — which were read out loud in between acts of the show.

Apart from this year’s dance show being centered around Webb in its entirety, the difference of location compared to past winter dance performances was its own hurdle to overcome for the whole dance company and the theater tech crew.

“Because we were moving from the studio to the museum, […] constantly having to adjust […] was a bit challenging,” Jackie Shugert (‘24) said. “But I think that’s what made it fun, and it wouldn’t have been the way it is now without everything that was adjusted.”

Despite the venue change and the intense encounter with wind from the weeks leading up to the show, Webb’s theater tech crew seamlessly adjusted to the museum steps, bringing a watercolor palette of reds, greens, blues, and yellows that spotlighted the dancers and the emotions they were depicting.

“It was fun to work outdoors but setting up the stage was tiring,” Joyce Zhao (‘25) said. “But I think the outcome was great and the dance was amazing.”

After a season of hard work, Webb’s winter dance show was a success and truly displayed the talent of Webb’s artists. Seniors such as Isabella, Nichola Monroe (‘22), Emily Wang (‘22), and Sharon Xu (‘22) made a statement with their final solos, and others like Gabby Diaz (‘23), Emilia Bordage (‘23), and Yuki Layman (‘25) showcased their talents with smaller solos which audiences can expect to see next year. For the dance students, it was a winter season they never want to forget.

“The music blasting in an open room with fresh air, everyone enjoying and relaxing their bodies with the music flowing through us, it’s so beautiful,” Wendy Chang (‘23) said. “I am so sad this season is coming to an end.”

With this dance season now a part of Webb’s century-long past, “Centum” urges us to look forward into the future.