Club spotlight

A preview of club plans for the 2023-2024 school year
This spotlight covers four clubs for 2023-2024 school year and their upcoming plans for events.

Although the Webb club fair has passed, there are still opportunities to join any of the 71 clubs Webb has to offer this year. If you are interested in seeing what some of these clubs have in store for this year, here is the rundown of the upcoming plans from four exciting clubs! 

Mycology Club 

Do you like mushrooms? If you do, keep an eye out for the Mycology Club events this year. Mycology is the study of fungi; however, the Mycology Club will place emphasis on exploring mushrooms. Even if you do not like mushrooms, this club might give you the opportunity to try a mushroom that is to your liking. Eric Luo (‘25), Ryan Ho (‘25), and Jay Pang (‘25) created the club with the intention of providing opportunities to grow and forage mushrooms. This semester, the club plans to begin growing the mushrooms after all materials are purchased and organize a mushroom foraging run off campus next semester.  

“Our goal for the club is to grow, forage, and eat mushrooms, hopefully having our first meeting in the next two weeks,” Jay Pang (‘25) said.  

More details and dates to be announced! 

Art Club 

From painting to architecture, the Art Club is the perfect opportunity for artists to showcase their passions at Webb. This club is known for consistently planning events throughout the year, with their Art Café being popular among many students.  

“Even if you do not think you have enough experience to be a part of the club, don’t be afraid to reach out because we are open to all artists!” said Michael Fu (‘24), president of the club.  

Aside from several Art Café events planned for this year, Art Club has recently announced their new project: Webb’s very first student-led pavilion as a Fabric Installation Space in McMillin Park. This architecture project will be a wooden frame and translucent linen fabric space with entrances throughout, as well as tables and benches. The installation will create a space for students to gather and enjoy themselves throughout the day.  

The Art Club hopes to involve students in the upcoming construction stage of the installation; so, if you are interested in architecture, building, or learning more about the Art Club, this is the perfect opportunity for you. The beginning of the construction stage is right around the corner as the club begins gathering materials. So even if you have not had the chance to join, feel free to reach out to Michael Fu (‘24), Arthur Lu (‘24), or Anthony Huang (‘24) if any of these events intrigue you. The club has already offered early priority for members to sign up for trips off campus and will consistently remain active throughout this school year. 

Investment Club 

As one of the largest clubs at Webb, Investment Club is a unique chance for students interested in learning how to invest and manage their money. This year, the club will receive $50,000 from the Webb Board of Trustees to invest in throughout the year, the most a Webb club has received in funding. 

“We are trying to make it clear that our club is a serious commitment, because attendance is very important, and we plan to have bi-weekly meetings,” said William Yang (‘24), CEO of the club.  

The club has already hosted their first meeting and is proceeding with a vetting process where members must attend two of the first meetings to be officiated as a member. From there, members will be sorted into different groups that will pitch investments to cover different market sectors. Members have the opportunity to work with other students to research investments, pitch through presentations, and vote when they think the club should invest in stocks. As they plan to begin investments in late November, keep an eye out for the Investment Club’s second meeting on November 13th. 

Webb Thespians 

Webb Thespians is a new club this year for students passionate about the performing arts. They are dedicated to supporting and celebrating the theatre community at Webb as part of the International Thespian Society. If this sounds unfamiliar, the International Thespian Society is an honor society for middle and high school students, where students must meet the induction requirements by earning Thespian points determined by the school.  

However, even if you have not participated in the Webb performing arts production, Webb Thespians could be the perfect place for you to start your theatre journey. In early September, the group brought 17 students on a weekend trip to see Les Misérables at the Pantages Theatre in LA. You can keep up with this club through their Instagram page @webbthespians, where they consistently post updates.  

“We are hosting a run to Spring Awakening by the East West Players on November 11th, as well as a lot of other holiday and fun events with details to come” said Stephanie Ma (‘25), vice president of Webb Thespians.  

If you are interested in joining Webb Thespians, don’t be afraid to reach out and keep an eye out for any future emails regarding their events!