How to make French toast

Ben Madanski
Personalized dishes like the French toast allows for someone’s personality to be showcased. “French toast is a relatively easy dish to make; you only have to make sure to not burn the toast, but other than that, this is a dish to be enjoyed by your loved ones,” Yilia Han (‘26) said. The French toast pictured above meets no boundaries, making it a very popular dish in many restaurants and family breakfasts around the world.

It’s a Saturday morning, and there is nothing better than waking up to the smell of fresh vanilla and ground cinnamon wafting through your kitchen and your whole house. “[French toast] is mainly a weekend dish for my family,” Yilia Han (‘26) said. “It reminds me of contentedness and happiness.” French toast is one of many famous dishes in the world of breakfast cuisine. At the same time, it is also a very fast and easy dish that does not require any fancy cooking techniques or years of experience. So, strap your soon-to-be MasterChef apron on, gather your pan and ingredients, and let’s get to cooking! 

Ingredients: 

• 2 eggs 
  • ¼ cup milk 
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar 
  • ½ cup vegetable oil 
  • 2 tablespoons of butter 
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract  
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 2 slices of any bread of choice (thick cut brioche or white bread is encouraged) 

Instructions: 

1. First, I recommend organizing your ingredients so they will be easy to access; however, if you would rather play a game of Overcooked, have fun with your cooking.  Next, stir the listed and any personally added ingredients thoroughly — except for the oil, butter, and bread — in a bowl or a plate with elevated edges (to avoid spilling).  Of course, French toast is an amazing dish to experiment with new or rather “exotic” ingredients.  
  2. Coat your bread in this mixture for a minute or so on each side until the mixture has made the bread soft or mushy. 
  3. Next, grab a skillet or pan, pour your oil and place your butter into it. Turn the heat to medium-high and wait until the butter has melted completely. Tip: Make sure to move the butter constantly to avoid it burning.   
  4. When the butter has melted, place your bread into the hot oil and butter mixture and let it cook for couple minutes on each side, until the bread is browned and crispy, or overcook it to get that extra texture. 
  5. Lastly, slide your personalized toast onto a plate and garnish with granulated sugar and maple syrup, or whatever is available to you, and enjoy! 

This breakfast staple is very customizable, allowing cooks to shape this dish around their own dietary needs or preferences. It is always encouraged to constantly display self-expression by putting your own spin in your personalized ingredients and cooking style. “I think it is always important to express yourself, even in cooking,” Yilia said. “I like to put a little bit of chocolate powder and vanilla extract for that little bit of extra sweetness.”