How to decorate your dorm room

After+careful+cultivation%2C+your+dorm+can+transform+from+an+empty+room+into+a+perfect+place+for+you+and+your+expression.+After+all%2C+you%E2%80%99ll+always+come+back+to+your+dorm+after+a+bad+day+or+an+exciting+event.++
Kristine Bisgaard
After careful cultivation, your dorm can transform from an empty room into a perfect place for you and your expression. After all, you’ll always come back to your dorm after a bad day or an exciting event.

“I know every dorm is different,” said Yesela Tadeo, Dean of Residential Life. “Every dorm has their own little traditions, which we do as a whole community as well, that can contribute to feeling a sense of belonging.” A dorm has the power to shape your sense of home.  

“Creating an inclusive environment to help alleviate a student’s challenge with home sickness and also a sense of belonging.” Ms. Tadeo said. “In our dorm it might look like finding something that might remind you of home.”   

Everyone wants to feel like they belong in their living space, but how do you establish your home away from your family as a border?  

Decorating and creating an ambiance of peace and homeliness in your dorm is a great way to start. Consider what you should add or take out to make the most of your space and maximize your productivity, comfort, and sense of place. 

Some simple ways to elevate the homeliness of your room include lighting, wall decor, throw pillows, and blankets. Warmer lighting and colors tend to create a more comforting atmosphere, but personal preference is always the most important in building a space you feel best in. There are some typical ways to bring life and personality to your walls like posters. However, wall decor, like whiteboards or bulletin boards, can be more practical and evolve with your needs and changing style. 

It is very important that your room provides this comfort because it greatly impacts your academic success, mental health, and overall well-being. The Webb adult and student leaders, such as prefects and dorms heads, are aware of this connection and go to great lengths to help students bring home to Webb.  

“As a prefect, I reach out to them, check in on them, and encourage them to do or bring things from home if that helps ease homesickness,” said Chelsea Wei (‘25).  

Yet, even with several measures in place, homesickness is a challenge for boarding schools. Luckily, from many years of practice, Webb has found strategies that can alleviate loneliness and isolation, often involving dorm traditions.  

Working with parents to bring parts of their life from home to school is usually the most effective way to make the student feel better.  

“Can we maybe work with the parents to see what we can do?” Ms. Tadeo said. “Maybe something that they love from home that they miss here? That’s the goal.” 

Some things from home are not always tangible. It could be a song you listen to with your family or a scent a diffuser can help achieve. Celebrations, traditions, or games are not only memory but also culture-rich activities that help to share parts of your home and life with other members of your dorm. Bring these games from home to your dorm family or teach them about a holiday that’s significant to your culture so they can celebrate with you.