Eric Bi (’25)

Eric Bi (’25) is a rising senior boarding student applying for Student Government Exec.

1. What are THREE (3) goals you would devote your time to pursuing as an Executive Officer (Exec) of Stu Gov?

a. Enhance school unity by adding more fun social events

b. Build stronger connections between different classes

c. Continue to promote and enrich the Webb spirit

2. Find and transcribe a quote that you believe best exemplifies your approach to leadership. Be sure to cite the person who is credited for the quotation. (Ex. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” —Nelson Mandela)

“The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” — Ralph Nader

I deeply realize the importance of empowering others, fostering growth, and nurturing the potential within each individual, rather than simply commanding a following. True leadership is about mentorship, development, and preparing others to lead, which aligns with the collaborative and developmental spirit of student government.

3. List THREE (3) skills or qualities you possess that you would utilize in your work as an Exec.

a. Friendliness

b. Smile

c. Helpful

4. The 2024-25 school year will mark the first year of the unified Webb Schools of California. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your vision for the 2024-25 school year, specifically addressing any challenges we may face during this transitional year, and how you, as an Exec, would address these challenges? (Please note: Addressing the challenges does not mean that you are expected to resolve them.)

I recognize the primary challenge this year is to harmonize the diverse cultures and expectations of each school. In this pivotal year, my focus as an Executive Officer would be on facilitating dialogue and understanding across the student body. I would organize joint forums and workshops that allow students to voice their concerns, share their traditions, and find common ground. These collaborative spaces will be essential in co-creating a new, inclusive school culture.

Furthermore, the amalgamation of systems and processes could lead to logistical hurdles. To address this, I propose the creation of a ‘Transition Task Force’ comprising students from various grades and backgrounds. This task force would work closely with faculty to identify friction points and communicate student feedback, ensuring that every decision considers the welfare and preferences of the student body.

5. Which of the Four Pillars of Stu Gov resonates most with you, your values, your interests, and your goals – Service, Advocacy, Joyful Engagement, or Collaboration? In one paragraph, please explain your connection with this pillar.

The pillar that resonates most with me is Collaboration. I firmly believe that the strongest communities thrive on the collective efforts of their members. Collaboration means embracing diverse perspectives, building consensus, and engaging in teamwork to realize shared goals. I want to bring together different voices and talents in order to create a student body that is greater than the sum of its parts. My commitment to collaboration will be reflected in the way I encourage open forums, seek input from all student sectors, and work closely with faculty and administration. In fostering a culture of unity and cooperative engagement, I aim to lead a student government that is inclusive, innovative, and effective.

6. Senator Diane Feinstein is attributed with saying, “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” What do you believe is the greatest desire of the student body?

The greatest desire of the student body, in my view, is to feel heard and understood in an environment that supports their academic and personal growth. Students want a voice in shaping the school experience to reflect their needs and aspirations. By focusing on transparent communication and active representation, I want to ensure that every student feels their voice matters and can make a tangible impact on the community we share.

7. If you were given one school day, a budget of twenty thousand dollars, and complete authority to plan a program for the entire community…

a. What would be your goals for the day?

b. What would the agenda/schedule look like?

Goals for the Day: Transform our school into a wonderland where every corridor leads to a new adventure.

Spark Joy and Laughter: Ensuring every single person ends the day with sore cheeks from smiling too much.

Community Bonding: We’d become a tighter-knit crew than pirates sailing the whimsical seas of camaraderie.

Agenda/Schedule:

Morning Surprise (8:00 AM – 9:00 AM): Students arrive to a ‘reverse parade’ where the faculty perform synchronized cartwheeling while the marching band plays hits from the ’80s… on kazoos.

Breakfast Buffet (9:00 AM – 10:00 AM): A “Choose-Your-Own-Adventure” breakfast where you can have pancakes stacked by a pancake-robot and cereal served by a mascot of your favorite fictional character.

Flash Mob Fiesta (10:00 AM – 11:00 AM): Random flash mobs erupting with coordinated dance-offs between history teachers and janitors, librarians and lab techs, all set to the grooviest tunes.

Mystery Quest (11:00 AM – 12:00 PM): A school-wide treasure hunt where clues are hidden in pop quizzes, behind historical paintings, and even in the principal’s announcements.

Comedy Lunch (12:00 PM – 1:00 PM): A food fight is too messy, so we have a ‘roast battle’ instead, where the best zinger wins extra dessert, judged by a panel of the wittiest students.

Afternoon Workshops (1:00 PM – 2:00 PM): A rotation of absurdly fun workshops like underwater basket weaving, alpaca grooming, and a course on speaking fluent ‘Gibberish’.

Talent Showdown (2:00 PM – 3:30 PM): Not your usual talent show, but a “Teacher’s Got Talent” where faculty reveal their secret ninja skills or juggling talents.

Closing Carnival (3:30 PM – 5:00 PM): We end with a bang in a carnival where the rides are powered by laughter, the prizes are embarrassing childhood photos of teachers, and the dunk tank is for the bravest volunteers – bonus points if they’re wearing a tuxedo or a prom dress