Pristine Thomas (’25)

Pristine Thomas (’25) is a rising senior day student applying for Student Government Exec.

1. What are THREE (3) goals you would devote your time to pursuing as an Executive Officer (Exec) of Stu Gov?

a. Open Communication: I’ve noticed whenever there is a disagreement with changes regarding school traditions, the majority student body discourse is based on the timing of the commination rather than on the changes themselves.

b. Collaboration: I think the best work at Webb is created when we work collaboratively as a team. Webb consists of many different types of people with unique perspectives that would amplify our current events.

c. Service: I think it is important for Webb students to devote themselves in serving both the school and our outside community. Webb has the access to many privileges that can be shared to help students and community members in need.

2. Find and transcribe a quote that you believe best exemplifies your approach to leadership. Be sure to cite the person who is credited for the quotation. (Ex. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” —Nelson Mandela)

“We need more light about each other. Light creates understanding, understanding creates love, love creates patience, and patience creates unity.” – Malcolm X

3. List THREE (3) skills or qualities you possess that you would utilize in your work as an Exec.

a. Empathic

b. Open-Minded

c. Determined

4. The 2024-25 school year will mark the first year of the unified Webb Schools of California. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your vision for the 2024-25 school year, specifically addressing any challenges we may face during this transitional year, and how you, as an Exec, would address these challenges? (Please note: Addressing the challenges does not mean that you are expected to resolve them.)

With the next school year embarking a new beginning for Webb, beloved traditions and ceremonies will change to better fit the new school model. Many of these traditions and ceremonies will be something returning students look forward to, so it is a given that many students will take the change difficultly. Despite change being difficult, I think there are two main reasons for students dispirit. For one, I believe most students frustrations stem from the lack of communication. In talking to a multitude of students, I have found that many find the changes too sudden. I have also seen many students upset due to the lack of input they seem to have in a school that deeply values student voices.

This discomfort in the student body can be relieved with more open communication. If we inform students far prior to the events/traditions changing, they have time to adjust. I also believe it is important to have student input, to listen as well as act on student ideas. If most of the student body disagrees with an event that is made for solely the intent of their enjoyment, student voices should be the focus.

5. Which of the Four Pillars of Stu Gov resonates most with you, your values, your interests, and your goals – Service, Advocacy, Joyful Engagement, or Collaboration? In one paragraph, please explain your connection with this pillar.

Out of the four pillars, I connect the most with Service. In my family, service acts are greatly valued, with my father co-founding and heading Miles for Montclair, a school-wide event at Montclair High School dedicated to raising money for houseless students and other families in need. In 2023, there was more than 400 houseless students attending Montclair, some relaying solely on their own income. I have personally seen the benefits of serving the community and think Webb should implement it more. I believe Service connects with the other pillars as it advocates for people other than ourselves, brings joy, and is even greater when working with others.

6. Senator Diane Feinstein is attributed with saying, “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” What do you believe is the greatest desire of the student body?

I believe the greatest desire of the student body is to belong within the community. To me, this means students are comfortable expressing their interests and identity. At my previous schoolings, I experienced being secluded in my community based on both my identity and my interests. In coming to Webb, I have been able to be myself and deeply appreciate it. To make people more comfortable in being themselves, there should be events that celebrate various interests. I believe diverse community benefits all residing in it.

7. If you were given one school day, a budget of twenty thousand dollars, and complete authority to plan a program for the entire community…

a. What would be your goals for the day?

b. What would the agenda/schedule look like?

In order to adequately use the budget, benefits for the entire community should be considered. With the money, I would make the last day before second semester into a community celebration. This celebration would include music, delicious goods, and fun games. I would put forth $10,000 into the celebration and invest the other $10,000 to ensure that the event will happen annually.

The goals of this event would be for the students and faculty members to celebrate finishing the first semester. I believe this event will help unify others, bringing the whole community together to celebrate the same accomplishment.

The day would begin like a regular school day, students, teachers, and other faculty members would carry out their daily tasks. There would be two blocks and chapel or advisory in-between. Then instead of lunch in the dining hall, pizza is bought, so the dining hall staff can also relax. After lunch, games and snacks will be provided. Video games in hooper, soccer and basketballs at the faculty field, and board games in the library. These different activities will encourage people of all interests to participate and collaborate with each other. The faculty members will also be able to enjoy the lunch and will be provided with kind notes from the students thanking them for the first semester.