Jack Yuan (’26)

Jack Yuan (’26) is a rising junior boarding student applying for Student Government Exec.

1. What are THREE (3) goals you would devote your time to pursuing as an Executive Officer (Exec) of Stu Gov?

a. Improve the impact of student feedback by directing it to where it can be most effective.

b. Bring the community together with community-led activities and events.

c. Foster greater connection and interaction between the community.

2. Find and transcribe a quote that you believe best exemplifies your approach to leadership. Be sure to cite the person who is credited for the quotation. (Ex. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” —Nelson Mandela)

“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” –Jack Welch

3. List THREE (3) skills or qualities you possess that you would utilize in your work as an Exec.

a. Communication- My ability to communicate effectively with my peers, teachers, and administration enables me to actively listen to criticism and articulate ideas and concerns clearly.

b. A great sense of humor and the ability to use it in a positive and engaging way will allow me to connect to the community and bring a lighthearted and enjoyable atmosphere. When situations are taken less seriously, people would be more comfortable.

c. As someone who has attended multiple schools, I’ve gained valuable insight into the different types of events that can truly make a difference. A creative mind can come up with unique and engaging ideas. From ‘Last Day of School’ water gun fight to ‘Sports’ Teacher vs. Student, Execs are not just making memories, we’re changing lives.

4. The 2024-25 school year will mark the first year of the unified Webb Schools of California. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your vision for the 2024-25 school year, specifically addressing any challenges we may face during this transitional year, and how you, as an Exec, would address these challenges? (Please note: Addressing the challenges does not mean that you are expected to resolve them.)

My vision for the 2024-25 school year of the unified Webb Schools of California centers on unity and the development of our school’s image. Through the years, both VWS and WSC have established, celebrated, and treasured two distinct identities. However, when the two schools are merged, we must maintain equal influence from both. By conserving both schools’ unique traditions, a shared identity and vision can be formed.

During this process, difficulties in navigating differences are unavoidable. However, as an Executive, I can overcome these problems by embracing change and turning to the community for help. By fostering an inclusivity and open community, students are empowered to work together to find solutions. Through this, our solutions will reflect the whole community’s perspective, not just the student government’s.

5. Which of the Four Pillars of Stu Gov resonates most with you, your values, your interests, and your goals – Service, Advocacy, Joyful Engagement, or Collaboration? In one paragraph, please explain your connection with this pillar.

Out of the four pillars of Stu Gov, joyful engagement resonates with me the most. I believe that joyful engagement is the backbone of collaboration, service, and advocacy. When members of the community engage in activities that bring them a sense of joy, they are more motivated to collaborate, encouraged to help and give back to the community, and promote individual voices. Joyful engagement creates an inclusivity community that celebrates everyone.

6. Senator Diane Feinstein is attributed with saying, “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” What do you believe is the greatest desire of the student body?

The greatest desire of the student body of Webb would be more events that are driven by the students. This includes social gatherings and other activities that allow them to relax, unwind, and enjoy themselves. Attending events will be a way for people to explore their interests, learn new things, and make meaningful connections with others who share their passions.

7. If you were given one school day, a budget of twenty thousand dollars, and complete authority to plan a program for the entire community…

a. What would be your goals for the day?

b. What would the agenda/schedule look like?

The only goals for the day would be to make this event stress free and fun. It would be a day to escape from the realities of high school and just enjoy life.

As waves crash against the shore, laughter is heard and shared. A whole school visit to the beach would be the perfect program for the entire Webb community. Everyone would deport on buses after breakfast at Webb. We would arrive in the afternoon at the beach to enjoy the radiant sunshine. While students enjoy the beauty of ocean, others are playing football, volleyball, etc on the sand. For others, they can find joy in visiting the nearby shops. The night would finish as the entire community watches the sunset and enjoys the ride home after a long day.