Eric Zhu (’25)

Eric Zhu (’25) is a rising senior boarding student applying for Student Government Exec.

1. What are THREE (3) goals you would devote your time to pursuing as an Executive Officer (Exec) of Stu Gov?

a. Represent the student body, effectively communicating their wills and feedback with the school

b. Facilitate a smooth transition through the transforming year by providing support tailored to Help students’ needs. walk through the transforming year smoothly

c. Incorporate more favorable elements and themes into school events to improve students’ involvement.

2. Find and transcribe a quote that you believe best exemplifies your approach to leadership. Be sure to cite the person who is credited for the quotation. (Ex. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” —Nelson Mandela)

“Leadership is not about being in charge. It is about taking care of those in your charge.” – Simon Sinek

3. List THREE (3) skills or qualities you possess that you would utilize in your work as an Exec.

a. Problem solver using analytical approach

b. Courage to make decisions

c. Sharing person who is passionate about sharing feedback from the student body

4. The 2024-25 school year will mark the first year of the unified Webb Schools of California. In 1-2 paragraphs, describe your vision for the 2024-25 school year, specifically addressing any challenges we may face during this transitional year, and how you, as an Exec, would address these challenges? (Please note: Addressing the challenges does not mean that you are expected to resolve them.)

The upcoming school year promises to be a transformative year heralding changes to many cherished traditions. Recent debates over WSC and VWS dorm pairings for Webb Idol highlight potential challenges we may face such as reimagining school meetings, candlelight ceremonies and adapting mixed-gendered classes. Transitioning from a single-school model perception to a mixed school might impose challenges, particularly for lower classmen’s classes. This transition could make classes more interactive because of diverse perspectives. However, gender integration may bring distractions, as some students might strive to impress their peers, raising the risk of unforeseen incidents. To mitigate this, fostering a culture of respect among all students is essential. Another concern is ensuring sensitivity towards content that may be interpreted differently across genders. We must ensure gender equality and implement careful curriculum planning that acknowledges these sensitivities. As an executive, I am committed to collecting feedback on class structure changes and collaboratively addressing these challenges with the student government.

Stereotypes may also pose a challenge to personal development. The presence of another gender might limit student’s willingness to pursue interests beyond traditional gender norms. I propose creating platforms for discussion and incorporating themes that challenge stereotypes into our school meetings. Although the transition might present challenges, I believe that fostering an open and inclusive environment will enable us to maximize the benefits of mixed-gender learning and navigate these challenges effectively.

5. Which of the Four Pillars of Stu Gov resonates most with you, your values, your interests, and your goals – Service, Advocacy, Joyful Engagement, or Collaboration? In one paragraph, please explain your connection with this pillar.

Among the Four Pillars, Collaboration resonates with me the most. I believe that lasting achievements stem from collective efforts, uniting diverse perspectives and skills to surpass the sum of individual contributions. Drawing from my varsity basketball and Peer Advisor experiences in the past three years, I attribute every win and successful event to the power of collaboration. Efficient communication is crucial on the basketball court, it is the difference between winning and losing. Similarly, the smooth execution of annual orientation hinges on the collaboration among leadership groups. Echoing my leadership quote, my dedication to collaboration goes beyond mere cooperation; it involves fostering an environment where all contributions are valued and everyone is empowered to innovate. As we approach our first unified year, effective collaboration within student government positions and among leadership groups will be crucial to navigating the school’s forthcoming challenges.

6. Senator Diane Feinstein is attributed with saying, “Ninety percent of leadership is the ability to communicate something people want.” What do you believe is the greatest desire of the student body?

Based on the feedback and observations within our community, I have identified the student body’s greatest desire: a safe space for open expression and active listening. Over the past year, listening to complaints about issues like dining hall food and the “no-phone” rule, I realized many students hesitated to voice concerns feeling their opinions did not matter. At the same time, the fear of being labeled as dissenters for challenging uncomfortable regulations also deterred open dialogue. As we approach our first unified school year, we anticipate significant adjustments to school events and traditions. As a result, facilitating an anonymous platform for students to freely express their thoughts on these adjustments is crucial to meeting the student body’s needs.

7. If you were given one school day, a budget of twenty thousand dollars, and complete authority to plan a program for the entire community…

a. What would be your goals for the day?

– Foster a sense of community and camaraderie among students.

– Provide a fun, engaging environment for students to interact, especially for boys and girls to get to know each other.

– Offer a variety of delicious food options catering to different tastes and dietary preferences.

– HAVE FUN!!!

b. What would the agenda/schedule look like?

Webb Schools Community Carnival

Time: 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM

Location: Webb School upper campus (Faculty field)

9:30 AM – Opening Ceremony

– Students arrive at campus and check-in.

– Brief introduction by the Student Government President and faculty.

– Overview of the day’s events.

– Opening performance by the school band.

9:55 AM – Carnival Games Begin

– Various game booths open the event, including ring toss, dart balloons, and dodgeball. Each game booth will have prizes for winners to encourage participation.

11:30 AM – Food Stalls Open

– A variety of food stalls offer options like tacos, burgers, vegan delights, ice cream, and cotton candy. There will be stations that represent different parts of the world. Chinese food stations would serve barbeque, hotpot, and dim-sum. Special stations for dietary restrictions will also be available.

– The food station would open till 1:30 pm.

12:40 PM – Talent Show begins

– A student-led talent show to showcase diverse talents, encouraging both boys and girls to participate and support each other.

– Open Mic would be held

– The most popular performance will be awarded

2:00 PM – Team Building Activities

– Students would pick a random number and be assigned to a group

– Activities designed to foster interaction such as three-legged races, tug of war, and group puzzles.

3:30 PM – Raffle Draw

– Raffle draw with tickets distributed during the event for exciting prizes like gift cards, gadgets, and Webb Schools merchandise.

4:30 PM – Closing Ceremony

– “Thank you” speech by the Student Government.

– Announcement of the day’s highlights and key achievements in community building.

– Final performance by the school choir.

Total Budget: $20,000

– Carnival Games materials and Prizes: $4,000

– Food and Beverages, hiring cooks, and stations set-up: $5,000

– Rent facilities like a tent, ambient light, stage, etc: $3,000

– Safety: First-aid station and some securities: $1000

– Decorations and Signage and other small costs: $2,000

– There will be $5000 saved after the event. This money could be used to make the next event we organize better.

Detailed Considerations:

Inclusivity: Ensure activities and food options cater to all interests and dietary needs. Student government can send out surveys via email to gather opinions

Safety: Allocate resources for security personnel and first aid stations. Plan for emergency procedures.

Sustainability: Make sure waste is sorted with recycling bins and the student government should clean up after the event.

Engagement: Use social media and school platforms to build anticipation and keep students informed about the event details.

Feedback: Post-event survey to gather insights for future event like this. Always focus on improving next time!