How boarders are preparing for the end of the year move out in the dorms

With+less+than+a+week+left+until+move-out+day%2C+Grace+Zhu+%28%E2%80%9825%29+begins+to+pack+items+in+her+room.+To+create+an+efficient+packing+process.+Grace+begins+by+re-organizing+her+room+to+see+what+items+will+not+be+needed+in+the+following+week.++After+collecting+her+things%2C+Grace+begins+to+pack+away+these+items.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+trying+to+organize+my+items+based+on+categories+to+help+me+move+out%2C%E2%80%9D+Grace+said.++
Sydney Morales
With less than a week left until move-out day, Grace Zhu (‘25) begins to pack items in her room. To create an efficient packing process. Grace begins by re-organizing her room to see what items will not be needed in the following week. After collecting her things, Grace begins to pack away these items. “I’m trying to organize my items based on categories to help me move out,” Grace said.

As you run down gym hill, you’re filled with bittersweet emotions: you’ve just said bye to all your senior friends. However, now you’re on your next mission. 

Mom, Dad, I’m ready to get picked up, meet me at my dorm,” you tell your parents as you turn left at the intersection between the upper dorms and Jameson.  

You run up the steps of Jones, determined and ready to tackle this challenge. Except, this year you feel more confident than ever. As you key into your dorm, you feel relief and gratitude that you decided to pack up and clean your whole room earlier.  

This will be an easy moveout! 

As the end of the year approaches, all boarders are faced with the mission of creating a move-out process that is most effective for them. The first step in this process is packing.  

“I have accumulated a lot of stuff over the year, it is very hard to suddenly get so many things out of my room,” said Grace Zhu (‘25). “I’m feeling a little stress about the end of year move-out.” 

In the past, non-local and international borders often used storage boxes to store their items. These boxes were located near the dorms and re-located behind the chapel over the summer. After much consideration regarding this system, this year Webb is implementing a new structure under Dorm Room Movers 

“We wanted to create a more efficient system that would create no item misplacements,” said Nathan Silva, Student Services Coordinator. “The new system is one and a half times more expensive, which will make students see the difference between needs and wants.”   

As the packing process starts, students begin to sort out and get rid of old and unnecessary items. To help during this process, several dorms will place donation boxes around the area for residents. Some of these boxes were placed by the Trade-to-Save club run by Lucy Troendle (‘26) and Sophie Lin (‘26).  

“We have been collecting donations since January, all donations go to the House of Ruth, a shelter for domestic violence survivors,” Lucy said. “Donating instead of throwing away is a good way to give back but also make residents lives easier.”  

Additionally, for students looking to sell unused or unwanted items, many dorms will host end-of-year yard sales open to the community for people sell and buy items. This past Saturday, May 25th, Appleby hosted a yard sale.  

It helps people to get rid of unwanted items and save more room and time in the packing process,” said Joy Li (‘24), Appleby prefect.  

With less than two weeks to go until move-out day, it is important to start crafting a personalized move-out plan that works best for you. For more tips and information, read the perfect guide for a Webbie move-out article.