Webbies make the tough decision between high school and club soccer

Webbies+participate+in+on+campus+soccer+practices+located+on+Chandler+Field.+
Mark Dzula
Webbies participate in on campus soccer practices located on Chandler Field.

After nearly a year of the pandemichigh school sports, specifically soccer, are finally backAll previous sports seasons have been continuously postponed as COVID-19 cases remained high, and athletes have been forced to stick to solely practices. While the whole purpose of practice is to get better, an athlete practicein order to compete. After practicing for such an extended amount of time, not being able to play can get frustrating awfully quick.  

Between club sports and high school sports, athletes have had to give up competition for several months. Within the past month, club soccer has slowly begun games again 

“When I found out this news, I was very happy,” Jasper Bagley (‘22) said. 

Not only has club soccer opened back up, but high school sports in general have been making huge progress towards beginning competition as wellThe California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) had in other years declared the rule that if an athlete was participating in their club sport, then they could not play high school at the same time.  

However, due to the pandemic, they have recently decided that high school athletes and club athletes will be allowed to play in both, since the circumstances and timings are different than usual. The news thrilled club athletes because it gave them hope for the chance at getting to play and represent their high school. CIF is providing a great opportunity for athletes because it maximizes one’s opportunity to play the sport they love during their four years of high school, with one year having already been taken away.  

Unfortunately, however, Webb students have to make tough decisionwhere they are forced to choose between club team and playing high school. Stephen Wishek, Director of Athletics and Afternoon Activities, sent an email addressing this topic and why it was being implemented. 

“While CIF has changed course several times on whether to allow multi-team athletes, the state and county have consistently issued guidance that limits athletes to stable cohorts of one team,” Mr. Wishek said. “Webb’s Medical Advisory Board has reviewed this guidance and supports it.” 

College soccer recruitment focuses on club teams more than high school teams. College coaches for soccer are more likely to scout a club game over high school, which means those looking to play in college are going to stick with their club. However, it does not mean that they will feel any less of the disappointment that will come from losing the experience of either their club team or playing in one of their only years of high school.  

“I decided to choose club over high school because it is a more competitive environment and will help me better develop as a player,” Taren Duffy (‘22) said. “However, I love playing high school and I really wish I had the opportunity to do both.”