Seniors get a taste of Cafe 1175 at the new Hooper Community Center

Livia+Hughson+%28%E2%80%9821%29+and+Jacqueline+Cordes+%28%E2%80%9821%29+hold+their+drinks+from+Cafe+1175+outside+of+Hooper.+At+this+time%2C+all+eating+and+drinking+must+occur+outside+of+Hooper+to+follow+current+health+protocols.++
Laura Haushalter
Livia Hughson (‘21) and Jacqueline Cordes (‘21) hold their drinks from Cafe 1175 outside of Hooper. At this time, all eating and drinking must occur outside of Hooper to follow current health protocols.

It feels as though the space and my role in Hooper is finally becoming a reality. I have been envisioning what this space was going to be like for a few years now and it feels like today is the beginning of what it is going to be.

— Mr. Rosenfeld, Dean of Campus Life

Mr. Rosenfeld traded in his Zoom classroom and coaching board to serve hot cafe drinks to excited members of the Class of 2021 on Wednesday, April 21. Working behind the brandnew cafe counter, Mr. Rosenfeld handed out drinks to the first students ever to try Cafe 1175. 

The “Senior Hooper Experience” is part of Webb’s increased post-spring break oncampus programming. On the first Wednesday post-spring break, seniors could sign up to spend two hours at Hooper. Less students attended then had originally RVSPd, but those that showed up sipped yummy drinks, explored all the new features of the renovated Hooper, and had opportunities to relax and hang out in the new space.  

A highlight of the day’s experience was Cafe 1175. Seniors were impressed by the drinks offered and the service they received.  

cannot believe they have almond milk,” Jacqueline Cordes (‘21) said. “I am so excited they have almond milk. [After taking the first sip of her drink] This is seriously amazing and so awesome. It is a perfect vanilla latte.” 

“[My drink] is pretty good,” Livia Hughson (‘21) said. “If you are going to get a cappuccino, it is a lot of milk. I personally prefer a macchiato, but I wasn’t sure if that was offered. For a cappuccino it’s pretty good and Mr. Rosenfeld makes a great barista.”   

“I do not know if Mr. Rosenfeld is going to be serving drinks forever but so far that’s my favorite part of Hooper,” Julia Patronite (‘21) said 

Mr. Rosenfeld will not be the permanent barista in Cafe 1175, but his office is in Hooper and students will surely feel his presence and excitement.  

In addition to their custom-made drinks, seniors got the famous Webb dining hall cookies. 

The excitement of having seniors in Hooper was felt throughout the entire building. Members of the Senior Administration came by to welcome and talk to the returning seniors.  

“It is so cool to be back at Hooper,” Jacqueline said. “It looks super amazing in there and it looks futuristic and almost like a college.” 

“I missed Hooper,” Julia said. “It was the place I hung out freshmen and sophomore year. So it’s nice to be back in the building even though it looks different … I am really happy to be back. Also the bathrooms are so nice. They are now single stalls, and they have hooks and locks. 

Even before the pandemic, the Hooper opening was delayed, and the global pandemic only pushed it even further back. While it is nowhere close to normal, activities like the “Senior Hooper Experience” give a taste of all the possibilities of Hooper. Other grades will have opportunities to try Hooper and Cafe 1175 in the coming weeks. However, the space will not feel fully complete until all members of the Webb community get to use it.