Webb’s opinions on Christiano Ronaldo signing with Al-Nassr

Clarence+Deng+%28%E2%80%9823%29+performing+Christiano+Ronaldo%E2%80%99s+signature+goal+celebration+the+%E2%80%9Csiuuu%E2%80%9D%2C+a+move+that+has+become+popular+amongst+Ronaldo+fans+around+the+world.+
Leo Levitin-Shilman
Clarence Deng (‘23) performing Christiano Ronaldo’s signature goal celebration the “siuuu”, a move that has become popular amongst Ronaldo fans around the world.

As excitement for the World Cup died down, the many soccer fans at Webb diverted their attention to other major events in the world of sports. They found an intriguing story when on December 30th, 2022, Al-Nassr, a soccer club based in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, announced that they would be signing Portuguese soccer superstar Christiano Ronaldo on a two-and-a-half-year contract which would earn him $75 million per year.  

Ronaldo decided to end his contract with Manchester United, a club based in Manchester, England, because he felt that he had been betrayed by the club and that he had no respect for Manchester United’s manager, Erik ten Hag.  

Ronaldo rejoined Manchester United on August 21st, 2021, where he played from 2003-2009. Ronaldo felt as if he was not welcome on the team and was not given any respect by any of the players or coaches.  

Ronaldo’s signing with Al-Nassr has been met with mixed reactions from people: some are protesting that the move was strictly money-driven, even going as far as to claim that loyalty is “dead” in soccer because of the expensive contracts being thrown around and dying loyalty between players and their clubs. Others agree that Ronaldo’s time in Europe is up, saying he should continue his legacy somewhere else where he can still raise his status as a player. 

Student and faculty reactions at Webb have also been varied.  

Clarence Deng (‘23), a lifelong Ronaldo fan, thinks the move was necessary for Ronaldo to continue to participate in the competitive world of soccer.  

“In a sport that treats its players like a business, Ronaldo finally treated the sport like a business,” Clarence said.  

Ronaldo’s move from Europe to the Middle East will give him the opportunity to expand his already massive fan base beyond where it has been for the entirety of his career. 

“By Al-Nassr bringing in one of the best and most notorious players in the world, soccer popularity in the Middle East could grow beyond what it is now and expand interest in soccer in other parts of the world” said Griffin Suttner (‘25). 

Esteban Vazquez, Language Department Faculty and WSC soccer head coach, agreed.  

“Sports in the Middle East are gaining a lot of interest and publicity with the World Cup being in Qatar, Ronaldo signing in Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia hopefully hosting the 2030 World Cup,” Mr. Vazquez said. “Having all of this will help grow soccer in this area.” 

Vazquez also believes that Ronaldo did not have the choice to stay in Europe.  

“No European clubs wanted Ronaldo because of his age and possible injuries,” Mr. Vazquez said.  

On the other hand, some Webb students believe that Ronaldo signing with Al-Nassr could have a negative effect on his performance.  

“Ronaldo’s move to a less competitive league could have a negative impact on his performance, since he would not be facing as difficult opponents as he would in a top European team.” said Jacob Arias (‘23).