Examining VWS legacy: Who were the pioneers?

Stephanie Ma
Above are framed graduation photos of the first five VWS classes, located in Jackson Library.

43 years ago, 34 female students stepped onto Webb campus for the first time, eager but nervous to begin their Webb experience at a previously all-boys school. These students are known today as the pioneer class of Webb. The commitment and perseverance of these students allowed Vivian Webb School to blossom into the school we know today. 

As the 2023-2024 academic year approaches its end, so does the coordinate model of two separate schools on one campus at Webb.  

What will happen to chapel? How will advisory work?  

While many of these questions remain unanswered, we do know that as Webb embarks on a new journey next year, it is essential to recognize the rich history of Vivian Webb: the legacy of those who came before us and positively impacted our educational experience today. 

The Vivian Webb School was established in 1981. All students in this class were day students, and the majority came from Foothill Country Day School, a nearby K-8 private school in Claremont. Today, Vivian Webb graduates maintain a closely-knit alumni network, staying in touch and actively engaging in the organization and participation of regular reunions.  

The pioneer class’s entrance was not easy. It was not uncommon for members of WSC or even former teachers to be disrespectful to or give female students a hard time, and VWS students had to adjust to this. VWS students prioritized fitting in with the WSC students to ensure smooth integration on campus; however, they also took advantage of new opportunities.  

“It became normal to have guys there. To an extent we stuck together and had certain guys we’d hang out with; most of them were borders,” said Evangeline Grossman, a member of the Pioneer class of 1984, “I have to say, there were probably 50 guys at the most that we all hung out with.” 

Due to the small number of students, the pioneer class frequently participated in everything Webb had to offer. Students played almost all varsity sports, starred in many roles in theater productions, took on many leadership positions, and worked together to build the school up. They took an active role in establishing a new school, starting traditions such as the candlelight ceremony, drawing an original crest, founding the honor council, and initiating their own student government. 

Despite the influence of the first VWS class, students today know little about these students and where they are now. We took this opportunity to reach out to three students from this pioneer class, Christina Mercer McGinley (‘84), Evangeline “Van” Fisher Grossman (’85), and Stephanie Riggio (‘85) to gain insight on what the VWS legacy means to them.