Kicking off the new school year: Block Party style

Ian+Igleheart+%28%2720%29+and+VWS+Dean+Sarah+Lantz+walking+around+the+%22block.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ian Igleheart ('20) and VWS Dean Sarah Lantz walking around the

Ian Igleheart ('20) and VWS Dean Sarah Lantz walking around the "block."

Summer Chen

Summer Chen

Summer Chen

On September 1st, Webb hosted its very own block party to kick off the new school year. Appleby, Jones, and Jameson were buzzing with students. Sarah Lantz, the Dean of VWS, opened her home and provided a space for students to socialize.

With everything from laser tag and a movie on Appleby lawn to the Kona ice truck and milkshakes, there was never a dull moment.

As we all know, the first four weekends at Webb are dedicated to spending time together as a community. As the community weekends come to an end, Ben Farrell, the Dean of WSC, wanted to go out with a bang and suggested hosting a block party.

After talking to Rick Duque, the Dean of Campus Life, they set out to make their vision a reality. The block party included a community art project, milkshakes and desserts, an outdoor movie, a live street performance, and more.

One of the most popular events of the night was laser tag on Alamo lawn. Freshmen Gabi Trauttmansdorff (‘22) and Janina Akporavbare (‘22) said that laser tag was their highlight of the night and that “it was fun to see people running around and working together in teams.”

Seraphina Oney (‘12), science department faculty, said, “It was really fun. My favorite part was getting to see students and faculty members bond and come together as a community.”

Another big hit was the Kona Ice Truck, selling over 175 snow cones. The block party was a huge success in the eyes of many and will set a radiant precedent for the school year.