Filed under Features, Showcase

Kicking off the new school year: Block Party style

Ian+Igleheart+%28%2720%29+and+VWS+Dean+Sarah+Lantz+walking+around+the+%22block.%22+
Ian Igleheart ('20) and VWS Dean Sarah Lantz walking around the

Ian Igleheart ('20) and VWS Dean Sarah Lantz walking around the "block."

Summer Chen

Summer Chen

On September 1st, Webb hosted its very own block party to kick off the new school year. Appleby, Jones, and Jameson were buzzing with students. Sarah Lantz, the Dean of VWS, opened her home and provided a space for students to socialize.

With everything from laser tag and a movie on Appleby lawn to the Kona ice truck and milkshakes, there was never a dull moment.

As we all know, the first four weekends at Webb are dedicated to spending time together as a community. As the community weekends come to an end, Ben Farrell, the Dean of WSC, wanted to go out with a bang and suggested hosting a block party.

After talking to Rick Duque, the Dean of Campus Life, they set out to make their vision a reality. The block party included a community art project, milkshakes and desserts, an outdoor movie, a live street performance, and more.

One of the most popular events of the night was laser tag on Alamo lawn. Freshmen Gabi Trauttmansdorff (‘22) and Janina Akporavbare (‘22) said that laser tag was their highlight of the night and that “it was fun to see people running around and working together in teams.”

Seraphina Oney (‘12), science department faculty, said, “It was really fun. My favorite part was getting to see students and faculty members bond and come together as a community.”

Another big hit was the Kona Ice Truck, selling over 175 snow cones. The block party was a huge success in the eyes of many and will set a radiant precedent for the school year.

Emily Stepanian, Staff Writer

Emily Stepanian (‘19) is a first-year staff writer for the Webb Canyon Chronicle. She was born and raised in California but oddly, prefers the winter over the summer. However, when it comes to the sand or the snow, she does not discriminate— on weekends you can find her snowboarding or relaxing on the beach with friends and listening to music. Her favorite academic subject is science, and combined with her love of helping people, she hopes to become a doctor in the future. She is also the new student liaison for the Dorm Council and is captain of the varsity soccer team. Her exceptional skills at the sport stem from seven years of club soccer outside of school. Emily joined journalism because she likes writing and hopes to further this passion throughout the year.

Summer Chen, Editor-in-Chief

Summer Chen (‘20) is the Editor-in-Chief of the Webb Canyon Chronicle. Since joining Journalism her sophomore year, she has developed a passion for writing as well as an interest in graphic design and website modeling. Her biggest goal for the WCC this year is to develop a balance of articles in every section (true to her Libra characteristics) by working closer to the mission statement, accurately representing the voice of the students, while still producing interesting stories about the world beyond Webb. When Summer isn’t grinding out fresh content for the WCC, she can be found taking naps and munching on chips & guac in her dorm room. After Webb, she hopes to study Psychology and Law so she can dominate courtrooms as a criminal lawyer.

1 Comment

One Response to “Kicking off the new school year: Block Party style”

1. Sunny Yu on September 16th, 2018 6:14 pm

Hey!! Good job! The writings and pictures are both so good. I think it would be a good idea to interview and write about different sports teams for fall season by December. If you guys need any help from or with the freshman, I can’t wait to make my contribution! I am also doing cross country so if you guys plan on interviewing us I could help!

• Kicking off the new school year: Block Party style

Features

Discover Webb Day: When middle schoolers dominate campus

Features

Meet the Class of 2022 officers

Features

Halloweekend at Webb

Features

Adventures of the Peccary Pals

Features

How to deal with spiders in the dorm

Features

Hope for kidnapped girls

Features

How big of a deal was the Presidential Alert?

Features

What’s the best spot on campus? Alumni reminisce

Features

Class of 2022 scavenges for fossils on annual peccary trip

Features

Blast from the past: Alumni slideshow 2018