Storms flood Webb

Stephen Li (’21)

The bout of heavy rain starting on Wednesday, February 13th, 2019 marks the third week of rain since mid-January. The on-and-off rain has prompted traffic, heavy flooding, leaks, and another oak tree to fall victim to the pounding drops of water.

JJ Cunningham (‘19) said, “Typically, we get one big rain and then it just stops. But we’ve had continual rain, so all of our drainage has basically been depleted and it’s just like a flood now throughout our entire school.”

Throughout campus, walkways are flooding and causing discomfort for many Webbies who walk into class with soaked shoes. If you live in Jameson, Alamo, or Jones, be careful when walking down the rain-covered asphalt.

Caroline Metyas (‘20) said, “This morning I thought I was stepping in a really shallow puddle, but turns out it was like three inches deep and then my shoes got soaking wet. I still have wet, cold feet and I hate myself.”

Every time it rains, buckets inevitably appear in the hallways of the science building. Rain drops steadily into each, quickly filling the gallon-sized vats. Even worse, the buckets crowd the hallways and create traffic in the busy walkways connecting the science labs. In many of the dorms, the carpets are absorbing rainwater and entrances are getting blocked.

Jones is suffering from large puddles at two of the main doors used for entering and exiting the dorm both upstairs and downstairs. While these puddles may not be considered “flooding,” they add a level of water that inconveniences boarders when they walk into the dorm.

In Appleby and South Hutch, the desperate need for an umbrellas has made them the prime targets of stealing. Linda Wu (‘19), an Appleby resident, said, “I was really annoyed when my umbrella disappeared from the lounge. I feel bad for people who don’t have umbrellas, but stealing is never the solution. Just ask me to borrow it!” Having similar experiences, many Appleby residents have texted the Appleby group chat expressing their frustrations and asking for any information on their missing umbrellas.

Due to the rain, many afternoon sports have been cancelled or moved indoors. Originally, JV WSC baseball, VWS softball, and WSC tennis were scheduled for games and matches at 3:15 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on February 14th and 15th, 2019. However, the baseball field is flooded and it is dangerous to play softball and tennis in the rain.

For day students, be careful driving back home and do not forget the rules of the road. Be especially careful when driving within the first 30 minutes of rain. If you start hydroplaning, do not slam the break or hold the accelerator. Calmly hold the steering wheel while keeping it in the direction you plan to go and break carefully only when you feel comfortable.

The rain is expected to continue for another few weeks. For future reference, here are two articles on how to survival crazy and unpredictable Californian weather: Five tips to surviving the rainy season and How to survive in California’s broken climate.

Below is a gallery of photos taken by Eric Evans (’19) and Stephen Li (’19).