25 new songs from 2021 you need to be listening to right now

Compilation of the artwork and photographs that are used as the album or single covers of the songs in the playlist.
Graphic courtesy of Narineh Madikians (’23).

Looking for new music? All the latest music from 2021 that you need to know about is wrapped up in one playlist. This playlist ranges from R&B to pop to hard rock, and you are sure to find something you love. 

Gravity,” by Brent Faiyaz, DJ Dahi, Tyler the Creator 

Gravity was released on January 29th, 2021. Brent Faiyaz, Dj Dahi, and Tyler the Creator collaborated on this mix of R&B and soul to create a mellow song that is perfect for playing while you are lying in bed staring at your ceiling. 

Driver’s License, by Olivia Rodrigo 

Olivia Rodrigo has taken the Billboard charts by storm as she has sustained her number one spot for four weeks since her song was released on January 8th, 2021. Many people believe her to be the next up and coming Taylor Swift, as her lyrics moved people in her new single. The song has received a lot of attention, specifically on TikTok, as many suspect that it is referencing a rumored love triangle between Rodrigo, Joshua Bassett, and Sabrina Carpenter. Regardless, the young pop star is breaking down boundaries, and her new song is perfect for a breakup playlist. 

Lie Lie Lie, by Joshua Bassett 

Joshua Bassett is another up-andcoming artist who released his single “Lie Lie Lie” on January 14th, 2021. Because of the release date, many fans believed that he wrote the song in response to Olivia Rodrigo’s “Driver’s License.” Bassett squashed these rumors in a Genius interview, where he states that he actually wrote the song two and a half years ago about a friend who was spreading false rumors about him behind his back. “Lie Lie Lies catchy lyrics make it a great singalong.    

Skin,” by Sabrina Carpenter 

Sabrina Carpenter’s song “Skin” was released on January 22nd, 2021. Carpenter received a lot of backlash for her song because many believed it to be a diss track to Olivia Rodrigo’s song “Driver’s License.” However, just like Bassett, she squashed these rumors in an Instagram post stating that “Skin” was not about a specific incident but, rather, many incidents throughout her life. Carpenter wants her song to show the difficulties of dealing with insecurities and how she has learned not to let people get under her skin. 

Chemtrails Over the Country Club,” by Lana Del Rey 

Lana Del Rey released her first album, Born to Die, 2011 and gained much popularity from the song “Summertime Sadness,” which remains her top song on Apple Music. Her upcoming alternative album Chemtrails Over the Country Club will be her seventh album, and it is set to release on March 19th, 2021, with 11 songs, which includes her title track that was released January 11th, 2021.  

“Better,” By ZAYN 

The ex-One Direction star Zayn Malik has been a solo artist since 2016. His newest album, Nobody is Listening, was released on January 15th, 2021, with eleven tracks. “Vibez” is the mostplayed song on his album; however, “Better” is undoubtedly the most underrated. It differs from a lot of ZAYN’s music because of its mix between soul and pop. “Better” is a perfect pick to add to your playlist meant for cruising late at night. 

“right where you left me” and “it’s time to go,” by Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift released her album folklore in July of 2020 and released another album evermore only five months later. A month after her evermore release, Swift released a deluxe version of the album on January 7th, 2021. The deluxe version included two bonus tracks, “right where you left me” and “it’s time to go.” Both tracks are alternative; however, they offer slight country undertones similar to Swift’s earlier music. 

“Dayflower” and “Rewind,” by Cathedral Bells 

The band Cathedral Bells released their first alternative album titled Esther on January 29th, 2021. This album contains only eight tracks, and “Dayflower” and “Rewind” are the two most played songs. Both tracks are similar to Current Joys discography due to their indie coming of age movie energy. 

Queen, by Gflip and mxmtoon 

“Queen” features mxmtoon, who many might recognize from her feature on “Falling for U” and her song “prom dress,” which were extremely popular on TikTok. “Queen” was released on January 14th, 2021 and is a sweet-sounding ballad that is great for all pop fans. 

Harvester, by Monobody 

“Harvester” by Monobody is a rock song; however, it is entirely instrumental. Monobody has about 16,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, and their small discography contains only two albums and three singles. “Harvester” is the newest single, which was released on February 4th, 2021.   

21st Century Vampire, by LILHUDDY 

Many of you might recognize LIL HUDDY as your typical e-boy, who rose to fame on TikTok, but much to listeners’ surprise, his debut single “21st Century Vampire” might be just the thing to feed our pop-punk souls. Released on January 25th, 2021, this song is perfect for those who miss the 2000’s pop-punk era. Although many might be inclined to diss the song because of its creator, it might be just what you are looking for if you give it a chance. 

Out of the Ordinary,” by Oliver Tree 

On July 15th, 2020, Oliver Tree said that his album Ugly is Beautiful, which was released in 2020, would be his last album and that from there, he would be retiring from music. Much to many fans’ surprise, he released “Out of the Ordinary” on February 5th, 2021. Tree tweeted out that, although many fans thought it was all over, he would be releasing a deluxe version of Ugly is Beautiful, which would contain bonus tracks like “Out of the Ordinary.” Tree says this deluxe album will be the last of his music career.   

“Look Alive” and “Never Enough,” by Black Pistol Fire 

The Black Pistol Fire released their newest album, Look Alive, on January 29th, 2020. The title track “Look Alive” and the track “Never Enough” give off an upbeat rock alternative sound. If you are a fan of Arctic Monkeys, you are sure to love these two tracks as well as the whole album. 

Cuff Your Jeans,” by Claud 

Claud released their first album Super Monster, which contains thirteen songs, on February 12th, 2021. “Cuff Your Jeans” is the most played song on the album, which is understandable due to its mellow yet refreshing vibe. This song could be a great addition to your playlist and is perfect for cruising with all the windows down.   

And So It Went, by The Pretty Reckless ft. Tom Morello 

“And So It Went” was released earlier this year and is on the album Death By Rock And Roll by The Pretty Reckless. Many of you might recognize the band’s lead singer, Taylor Momsen, from her role as Jenny Humphrey on Gossip Girl or Cindy Lou Who on the Grinch. This hard rock singer has significantly changed since her Cindy Lou Who days. The band released Death By Rock And Roll containing 12 tracks, on February 12th, 2021, and this has been their first album in four years. If you are a hard rock listener, you should take a look at “And So It Went” as well as the rest of their discography.   

Making a fire,” by Foo Fighters 

The Foo Fighters were founded by Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl in 1994 and became one of the most popular American rock bands of the 90s and 2000s. They have released ten albums since their debut album Foo Fighters in 1995. Their newest album Medicine At Midnight was released on February 5th, 2021, only four years after their previous album. “Making A Fire” is the first and mostplayed track on the album. This song is an upbeat rock song that is great for blasting in your car or bedroom.   

On Read,by Lucky Daye and Tiana Major9 

Lucky Daye and Tiana Major9 collaboration on their newest single, “On read,” which was released on February 4th, 2021.On Read” is the perfect mix of R&B and soul with a smooth sound that is perfect for a mellow night or car drive. 

American Cliché, by FINNEAS 

Finneas O’Connell is a producer and singer-songwriter, who many might know as Billie Eilish’s brother. Finneas is Billie’s cowriter and producer; however, he also has a discography of his own. After his first and only album, Blood Harmony, released in 2019, gained a lot of popularity, Finneas released four singles in 2020. “American Cliché,” released on February 4th, 2021, is his first single of 2021. This pop song has an upbeat and unique sound not often seen in many pop songs. “American Cliché” could be just the addition you are looking to add to your playlist. 

“BAD BAD News” by Tai Verdes 

“BAD BAD News,” released on February 4th, 2021, is Tai Verdes’s fourth single in his discography and his first of 2021. He is most well-known for his song “Stuck In The Middle,” which was popular on TikTok in 2020. “BAD BAD News” is a pop song with blues and R&B undertones, making it mellow enough for a late-night drive. 

Pine,” by Unusual Demont 

Unusual Demont offers an R&B and soul single called Pine to help listeners through 2021. Although “Pine,” which was released on February 2nd is his second solo song, Unusual Demont has slightly over 726,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. His soothing tone of voice makes the song great to play as you unwind in your room.   

Glad you Exist” by Dan+Shay 

Dan+Shay released their newest single “Glad you Exist,” on February 5th, 2021. “Glad you Exist” is perfect for all of the country lovers out there. Dan+Shay have unique sounds for country artists, as there are some pop influences in the sweet-sounding song “Glad you Exist,” but similar to the rest of their music, Dan+Shay made sure to add in a country flare to their newest release.   

Oceans Away, by Sofía Valdés 

Sofía Valdés released her first EP on February 5th, 2021, called Ventura. Despite Sofía Valdés’s small discography, she holds almost 515,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. “Oceans Away” is the most played song on the EP, which contains only six tracks. This convivial pop song is excellent for a relaxing morning. 

In this hour and 25-minute playlist, you are sure to find something you like due to the myriad of genres. This playlist pushes you to explore music that you may have never discovered or listened to. Have fun listening!