Exploring the drama and triumph of MLB’s postseason

The stage is set for the 2023 MLB playoffs, there should be expected controversy, unexpected twists, and heart-stopping moments. As teams gear up for the postseason showdown, anticipation and excitement sweeps across the baseball community, eager to witness the drama unfold on the field. From underdog triumphs to nail-biting clashes, this postseason promises to deliver a spectacle of unforgettable baseball moments. Get ready for an electrifying journey through the highs and lows of Americas favorite pastime.
MLB.com
The stage is set for the 2023 MLB playoffs, there should be expected controversy, unexpected twists, and heart-stopping moments. As teams gear up for the postseason showdown, anticipation and excitement sweeps across the baseball community, eager to witness the drama unfold on the field. From underdog triumphs to nail-biting clashes, this postseason promises to deliver a spectacle of unforgettable baseball moments. Get ready for an electrifying journey through the highs and lows of America’s favorite pastime.

The 2023 MLB postseason provided our second look at the league’s new 12-team format. The new playoff format includes three Wild Card spots instead of two, however, many believed this was a money grab by the MLB, it allows the league and its owners to extract revenue from a minimum of six additional postseason games. 

However, the crucial aspect is which teams clinched a playoff spot and how they performed. Starting off with the American League, The Texas Rangers came out hot against the Tamba Bay Rays in the Wild Card despite losing to the Number 5 seed on the final day of the regular season. The Rangers won the series 2-0 and advanced to play the Number 1 seeded Baltimore Orioles in the American League Division Series (ALDS).  

“I love that there is a Wild Card game,” said Alec Kaushal (‘26). “It gives teams such as Rangers a chance to prove a point: that they belong in the postseason, even with a worse record than a powerhouse like Tampa Bay.”  

The American League Central champion Minnesota Twins also swept their wild-card opponent, the Toronto Blue Jays, and took on the reigning World Series champion Houston Astros in the next round.  

“I was super excited for my Blue Jays to go far in the postseason this year,” said Ayan Kaushal (‘24). “I can at least be happy we were given a chance with the additional Wild Card berth.” 

Now for the National League, The Arizona Diamondbacks ousted the Brewers to advance to the NLDS, the Philadelphia Phillies dominated the Miami Marlins in the Wild Card in front of a raucous home crowd. The Phillies advanced to the NLDS to take on the Diamondbacks. “I really do not like the Wild Card games or short series games,” said Marlins Fan Tyler Samson (‘24). “Baseball is so much harder when it comes to failure and bouncing back. If you are given only a couple of games to prove you are a better team, it is not fair.”

Back to the American League, the Rangers secured the first ALCS spot with a 3-0 sweep against the young and talented Orioles. The Rangers will play the Astros, who knocked the Twins out of the postseason in four games.  

“It has to be rigged,” said Drake Drendel (‘25) “How do the trash Rangers beat a goated team like the Orioles, they were definitely cheating or something.” For the National League NLCS, The Diamondbacks swept the number one seed Dodgers 4-0 to advance to the NLCS. The Diamondbacks will meet the Phillies, who also knocked out a top two seed, the Braves in four games for a second straight year. 

“No,” said Alec Kaushal, “I have a question for everybody reading this article. I love that underrated teams get a shot to win it all, but tell me how a team like the Diamondbacks who were dominated by the Dodgers the entire season, randomly lock in and sweep them 4-0. Something is sus in MLB.”  

It took seven games to eliminate the Astros. The Rangers are headed to the 2023 World Series, but against who?

The Diamondbacks did what every Sports Analyst thought would never happen. The Diamondbacks beat the Phillies in game seven in the NLCS and are heading to the 2023 World Series. At the end of the season, the Diamondbacks were second in their division and barely clinched a Wild Card game. If the Diamondbacks win, it will have only been the eighth time in MLB history a Wild Card team wins the World Series.   

“You have to give it to them,” said Webb Alumni Adrian Alvarez (‘16). “They did what they had to do as the underdog team throughout the entirety of the postseason. Even as a Dodgers fan, I respect them.”   

Unfortunately, the Diamondbacks could not prevail and lost four games to one. The Texas Rangers are your 2023 World Series champions. For the first time ever, Texas has won World Series championship. Congratulations to Texas!  

“At the end of the day, I feel like the Diamondbacks lacked the urge to win a championship,” said Dr. Joseph Martin, Webb baseball coach and teacher. “Texas had a chip on their shoulder and did not play down to Arizona’s level.”