Price Dining Hall welcomes a new flag

The+new+transgender+flag+hangs+in+the+dining+hall.+
Janina Akporavbare
The new transgender flag hangs in the dining hall.

Price Dining Hall is home to many flags found around the world. And as of November 14th, you may now notice, in the far corner of the dining hall, there is a new flag. It has caused many in the Webb community to brush up on their knowledge of vexillology and the different gender identifications. The transgender flag was put up in the dining hall to honor and welcome the transgender community. 

Webb’s LGBTQ+ and Allies Club made the decision to add a transgender flag to the dining hall. The goal of the LGBTQ+ and Allies Club at Webb is to create an area for all students to feel welcome regardless of gender or sexuality.

Paige Woodard (‘21), co-president of the LGBTQ+ and Allies Club, said, “Last year the officers of the LGBTQ+ club started talking to the administration in order to have a transgender flag in the dining hall. We wanted to do that because Webb’s binary school system has made it incredibly hard for people who do not fit into that to come out, but the flag now allows for those students to feel comfortable. It shows that the students and the administration are supportive of them.”

Though this flag appears to have the support of most of the student body and administration, some members of Webb’s community still question why it is there. Some students are questioning why the flag is needed, as they believe the pride flag in the dining hall already represents the transgender community.

Jalelah Johnson (‘22) said, “I am in full support of the addition of the transgender flag. But I do not understand why it is so far away from the pride flag in the dining hall. I suggest that the pride flag and the trans flag should be moved closer together and raised to the same level as the other flags in order not to unintentionally ostracize the LGBTQ+ community.” 

Nathan Choi (‘22) said, “I am okay with the addition of the transgender flag, but I wonder what the rule is for adding a new flag in the dining hall. The LGBTQ+ community includes the ‘T’ for the transgender community. In order for this flag to be a push in the right direction, all the other LGBTQ+ community flags should be added as well, but we obviously do not have the space for that in the dining hall. If a flag could be added because a group of people finds it meaningful, wouldn’t that mean a lot of other flags could be added? I personally would not be comfortable if a religious flag was added to the dining hall.” 

Many people believe that the transgender flag is still a step in the right direction for the Webb community. The inclusion of this flag allows for members of the community to notice and understand the difference between sexualities and gender identification.

Mick Adkins (‘23), a member of the LGBTQ+ community, said “I am very glad that they put up the new transgender flag. It helps represent the difference between gender and sexuality, while still expressing how important they both are.”

Jeffrey Zhong (‘20) said, “The new transgender flag in the dining hall is okay. It allows for more representation.”

It is up to the individual to decide if the addition of the transgender flag to the dining hall is a good or bad thing. No one can dispute, though, that the flag demonstrates the unique community established at Webb. Its addition shows that our school administration truly listens to its student body; and that their top priority is to make sure that all students at Webb feel welcomed, heard, and cared for.